Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

hide?

Jaz

I never use it

I work with Levels .and have my custom standart level names for everything

All my entities have custom attributes ,means that Inside the level I can select by linetype ,color and thickness .

pLUs I use Ea .manager for things like notes ,and dimentions

And Blank Unblank anything that I want to hide .

I never use Hide

Well ,there are some programs Like CImatron were Hide is the only way (They have sets instead levels ,one entity can be in couple of sets ).

I hated it .

Thanks for the back up Dan! It's nice to hear I'm not the only one. eek.gif

Like you said, things are busy everywhere in Washington, and I'm sure everywhere else eh!?!?

So you guys are up to speed on V10? Excellent! We're still in V9.1.1, I'm trying to get things ready for the big jump, hopefully by summer.

V10 is coming along well but still has it's new-program growing issues. IMO it's about a toss up to jump into it now and go thru the learning curve or wait for MR2 or later rev's to get the same reliability as 9.1. There are some groovy V10 functions though. When you make the jump, drop me a mail and I'll try to help with what stuff I consider handy tricks.

Dan

I don't see how some of you don't see the use of hide. Say im trimming a surface, or maybe projecting a curve, I hide everything but the curve and surface, do what I have to do, and unhide the rest again. I use it ALL day, every day. Divide and concure.

I realize everyone doesn't work the same way, but give it a try sometime, you will like it.

P.S. my files have custom levels, attributes, bla bla bla too, but thats not the point of hide / unhide IMO

quote:

I don't see how some of you don't see the use of hide. Say im trimming a surface, or maybe projecting a curve, I hide everything but the curve and surface, do what I have to do, and unhide the rest again. I use it ALL day, every day. Divide and concure.

P.S. my files have custom levels, attributes, bla bla bla too, but thats not the point of hide / unhide IMO

And a big +1 to that. biggrin.gif

Thad

quote:

I don't see how some of you don't see the use of hide.

Ditto.

I use hide constantly when toolpathing. Mostly to to have either wireframe or surface geometry + boundries on the screen without putting them on different levels like I see some of my cow-orkers still doing.

I haven't really commented on what I use it for, so here goes:

It's great for analyzing entities, changing levels or colors. If you try it, sometimes it works great for selecting chains, especially if you want to select a number of partial chains. And once you sort your colors on surfaces, it's excellent for finiding multiple surfaces on imported models (CATIA jockeys, go figure!).

lol, I won't waste my time trying to sell you hide Isky, just thought it might help some others that don't see a good use for it. I also won't try to poopoo using blank with all the untrimmed surfaces and stuff in there either, I'm sure if you want to, you can make it work for you.

Everyone has preferences and of course gets locked into certain patterns of use. Some poeple seem to manage entities with Levels some with Hide

some with Groups some with Filters. The point is they are all tools and I use them all, pending my need.

Originally when I started using Hide/UnHide I thought it was a little backwards in regards to entity selection. It made sense after while of using it.

Senerio:

I've got 1000 entities with various attributes showing on the screen, I want to work with 50 that have simmilar attributes (say color). Does it make sense to filter and select the 950 entities to hide as opposed to the 50 that are similar you want to keep visible?

May be it's just what I have gotten used to and/or the way my clock ticks but I think it's a great tool and works fine the way it is.

I use heavily color ,levels ,Linetype and thickness together with Masking .

If I want unblank something specific ,I turn only it`s layer and can go on only + color and linetype

and thickness

This is very fast thing .

Also ,hide is a temporal thing ,temporal things no use for me .

And all the unneeded blanks as a rule I translate to level 255 ,and they never disturbs me .

Everyone works as he likes ,I work with levels ,so I will no have a problem with My geometry edition

even next year .

I turn levels that i need all my geometry has specyfic attributes .

BR