Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam vs. others?

c-hook

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that I really admire everyones loyalty to Mastercam. I used to feel that way up to this week. But I have totally had it with Mastercrash. Before I continue I want to thank everone here at the forum who has helped me. But I do wonder how many of you who,are so pro-mastercrash has to pay maintenace out of your own pocket. I do- and I just use it for myself. I paid my maintenance last year for what is trash as far as I am concerned.If one was to apply the same rules as the purchase of a Car-this would be a lemon-and at least I could get my money back.

I find it amazing that I cannot even get a reply from the Mastercam Sales Department, but I can get back a quote for my maintenance back in minutes.

We al were told how great X was going to be,now it's supposed to be MR2. So I am supposed to pay more money on another false promise(based on my experiences with X) to a company that does not even have the manners to answer an email. NO-MORE. Mastercam is making one major mistake, it's taking it's PAYING CUSTOMERS FOR GRANTED !!

I am going with Hypermill-thier 5axis toolpaths are fantastic,they treat thier customers well, and they are way better that Powermill. Mastercam ain't even in the ball game when it comes to 5axis. Even if they use some of Delcams toolpaths.

quote:

I do wonder how many of you who,are so pro-mastercrash has to pay maintenace out of your own pocket

I do smile.gif

Its been over a month since I had a crash

quote:

Hypermill

Amazing software... have you priced it yet??

I worked at a place that had $110K into it

and still didn't have all the options eek.gif

John,

Up to this week,I have been extremely Pro-Mastercam,in fact most sites that I have worked at ended up purchasing Mastercam over other products. The point I am making here is really how Mastercam is treating it's customers-especially when it comes to paying maintenance. I don't believe I should have to maintenace this month,because X was basically non-functional from my perspective.I have already supplied Mastercam with my crash reports plus other bugs, and the guys there were EXTREMELY HELPFUL -I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH TECH SUPPORT OR ANY INDIVIDUALS AT MASTERCAM. But Sales is a different question.

I ask you to consider if you were(and I mean no offence) a one man operation who was extremely loyal to Mastercam, and paid for a product that basically did not work for you, and then were told that the next release would work-after you paid another years maintenance -how would you feel?

From a five axis perspective I actually benchmarked Mastercam,Powermill and Hypermill using an Compressor Wheel Matrix with 6 main Blades and 6 Splitter Blades. I was able to program the part in a couple of hours with Hypermill,because they have excellent Macros. We were unable to finish the part with Mastercam.

Hmmmm....Cant spend a few $100s to go to class and make sure you arent doing something wrong or get help. But, can spend several $1000s to change software. Now thats a business decision.

And before you say it....YES I pay for it myself and program 3 mills and a wire and may soon be 2 Lathes. Ive had problems too, but not spending more $ on different software. Always have V9 to fall back on if all else fails. headscratch.gif

quote:

Hmmmm....Cant spend a few $100s to go to class and make sure you arent doing something wrong or get help. But, can spend several $1000s to change software. Now thats a business decision.

That is precisely why I am taking muti-axis Mastercam classes, to ensure that MC truly is lacking in it’s multi-axis capability.

quote:

1. Simulation of the complete machine tool

This basis for this addition has been built. The big reason for the reliance on the control and machine def's now.

quote:

2. Automatic Feature Recognition

The only place this currently is in use is in SolidDrill. This isn't all it's cracked up to be either, so be careful what you wish for.

quote:

3. CAD/CAM integration

The name is MasterCAM not MasterCAD/CAM, they offer a decent front end on design but as has been discussed here numerous times there somemore power(ie, parametric ability) would be a welcome addition for many users.

quote:

4. Collision avoidance

To some degree this already exists, how much and how good, I can not honestly say I am not in the position to use and rely upon it.

Myself, I have played with the biggest boys out there and as far as a CAM system goes there is nothing better.

Now will CAM X do this 1 thing really good, it might. Will CAM Y do that 1 or 2 things really well, they might and CAM Z might do something entirely different exceptionally well.

BUT, where Mastercam excels is it really does do nearly everything, somethings better than others, somethings not as well perhaps but taken as a whole system with multiple abilities, there is not a more complete system out there.

Lets face it you can buy CAM X, CAM Y and CAM Z because they all do something good, you'd go broke.

With that being said, if you have one fairly repetitive task and CAM X does well, then you might be better off spending your money on that product.