Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam vs. others?

c-hook

I love to hear how all the BETA testers here never have any Probs with Mastercrash X, mine started with MR1 now it locks up for seamingly no reason, the other day it told me it was waiting for a response, wouldn't let me give a response, wouldn't let me close cuz it was waiting for a response finally ctrl+alt+del force the dumb thing to close and go back to MC9 until I get the strength for more X headaches. Tried a repair, tried to update it says "The update manager could not locate the correct version of Mastercam X on your machine. I got a disc from our rep and it didn't solve it either. I'm runnig Hardware recommended on this site. I have done the research. Funny how running pre-X MCAM for years instantly makes it my problem when the new sofware won't stay open long enough to adjust too.

Oh what was the question?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

It's not that we never have problems, it's that we realize more often than not WE (read Beta Testers) are the cause of the crashes. For the most part Beta Testers were selected because of their expertise and willingness to report bugs as opposed to just blasting a MASTERCAM SUCKS e-mail.

HTH

Gerald,

I understand how you feel.

I pay maintenance and I use V9

I am a small shop and it is painful.

Much of X is really slick but I decided to wait until certain issues were resolved. Those issues were too aggrivating for me to deal with and I do not want to be aggrivated. I dont even want to know what the problems X are. I will just use it when those problems are gone.

But V9 is great and I think X will be even greater. They are making a huge transition and I have confidence they will smooth the issues out as they have done in all the previous versions. In the meantime I may be out some $$ but I will not give up now. Besides, I would not want to go through another learning curve with some other brand software.

Andy, the missing point of logic in your argument is you're going to have to go thru the learning curve at some point in time ir another.

V9 to X or V9 to something else.

Either way you have a learning curve coming X is like a brand new software in some aspects.

John,

Actually, I failed to mention that in my spare time, I have been using X for the learning curve for the last 5 months. So, for me, when I make the change hopefully it will be a minimal transition and less agrivating. If I was a full time programmer I would probably do it differently. But in my case progamming comprises about 4 percent of my work. The balance of my work is dedicated to doing the machining, cnc and manual, billing, consulting with customers, sweeping, managing 2 part time employees, shop maintenance, signing checks (fortunately I have a bookeeper), purchasing, etc etc. I probably should go punch a clock somewhere. I put in 10-12 hours daily and I'm lucky if I bill out 6-7 hours. However, I love the trade and the challenges and variety of decisions to make. Mastercam is one small part of the equation and an essential part.

I think many of the members here have different circumstances and each has to adjust to the transition in a way that works for them. But I'm not complaining, I love MC. It has allowed me to solve so many problems and I enjoy using it.

And the forum is great. So many people, like yourself, take the time to help users and really make this a unique forum. I have even been able to help some folks occasionally.

Happy Easter!

Funny I always have problems it is at the point with one computer at work that is the only having problems they would liek it to run tests to repeat them. The only problem is that it is my computer. I can take the same file use another computer in the shop and never have a problem but using mine is crashes all the time. It has got to the point now I have to BETA new stuff at home becuase my computer at works is such a POS. I do it and deal with it trying to make it better. I would say we have alot of stations at our plant and when I can take my problem put it on a different computer and not repeat it do I say X sucks or do I say my computer sucks. That is what I am not hearing out of alot of the people bitching and freaking complaing. It is easy to say it sucks and will never od this or that then getting educated or gaing knowledge. It is just like machines that you have problems with are you the type to dive right in and try to solve the problem get the thing fixed or bitch complain and sya the machine is a piece of shi?. The 5 axis stuff is more than I think anyone who has not used it can see what it is. I see where the furture is going with the software and it will get there and the people at CNC care about making it a good product. I have been asked on many occasion to support the product and do so with no resvations. Does Catia, Esprit, and the others have good products none at least is saying they do not but Mastercan is a product I have found that gets the job done and does so in a productive effiecnt way for the money you spend. Want a $250,000 program go buy one what soemthing people can afford and get a very powerful versital product it is that.

This profession is dying in America folks and you can keep bitching about it being broke or you can help to fix it's your choice.

Crazy,

Yeah, I think your right and in the next ten years we will see less production and more repair and one off's, smaller customers and fewer prototypes. Im afraid the trade is going to get thinner and less profitable. In the last fifteen years I have gotten so many auction anouncements in the mail for machine shops it is really alarming.

A major adjustment is on it's way.

Hi Guys

For all you guys working in 3 Axis (Mastercams New HST and Cimco's Performance Pack)This combination will put any other 3 axis package back into its box.

For all you 5axis guys,wait to see the new advanced Multiaxis toolpaths available in MR2,you wont believe your eyes.(Camaix has Machine simulation as well).

So there is no reason why we would not be able to do anything faster and better then any other CAM software out there.

quote:

i sure like the NX operation "z level profile". i haven't been able to get MC do the same thing yet. MC is much easier to use for most stuff but 3d surfacing seems to not be as good as NX.

Being an NX user, I'd be interested to see what you think is so much better about this NX toolpath. Especially since the Z Level Profile, there is nothing special about that path at all. I "suspect" a just not being sure how to setup a path is all that is going on with this.

NX DOES though have a kickas* ability to rough on a 4th axis, this is something I have not yet found a way to do in MC, Flowline just does not cut it IMO.

JMC, 5axmsurf is a chook by camaix (mastercam reseller) that has some additional 5 axis toolpaths. These toolpaths include gouge checking and some tools for doing impellers with splitters.

pap, what exactly do you mean cut in between levels? flat machining? adding cuts to shallow areas? You can do both in Mastercam. Or is it something else?

HTH