Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam vs. others?

c-hook

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

worked with pro-nc for a couple of years. as i got better with it, it cooled down a couple of pretty serious skeptics. but at least as far as the main cut package, it was extremely limited in 2d paths. pro has an add-on but it seemed kinda strange that 3d was standard and 2d was more money(which my employer wasn't willing to spend).

In comparing MC to NX, MC wins the ease of use issue hands down. NX wins in a couple of areas, in that the parametric modeling ability and the associativity of the parts and the toolpaths is terrific.

I did not find anything that NX could do the MC could not, it is just easier more reliable and repeatable in MC.

I've used smurfcam too, it was a decent mill package. Customizing posts is the real shortcoming.

Camworks has it's place in shops that do production work and make families of parts.

To simply ask how MC stacks up is a tough question because in some instances a different product might actually work well, it depends what the user needs.

If you are looking for an all-around, I can do anything kind of package, then nothing IMNSHO beats MC.

Multi-axis programming with MC is limited. I am beginning to realize that MC may not handle the multi-axis (5 or more) programming as well as some other software. I am currently researching for a more robust multi-axis programming software.

tongue.gif

MC works great for 3 and 4-axis stuff..

quote:

Multi-axis programming with MC is limited

Don't know what you are trying to do Randle but MC is quite robust on multi-axis programming.

The only place I have found something could be added is a roughing routine that would allow roughing around the complete part.

I'm sure it is my in-experience with MC's

5-axis programming (and those dreaded PC crashes) that is giving me so much trouble with the multi-axis stuff. If X would not crash 10 times a day and have SO many bugs, it would be alot more enjoyable to work with.

When I was in the UK a couple of weeks ago, I had a chance to see a programmer who was very skilled with Powermill. After seeing how fast and easy Powermill handed the complex muti-axis stuff, I still have to question if MC is the correct software for the job.

quote:

Multi-axis programming with MC is limited. I am beginning to realize that MC may not handle the multi-axis (5 or more) programming as well as some other software. I am currently researching for a more robust multi-axis programming software.

[Razz]

MC works great for 3 and 4-axis stuff..

Before you make any hasty decisions, take a look at the upcoming MR2 release. There are a whole new set of very powerful multi-axis toolpaths found in this release. I've been testing them for a while now, and they are working out very well. They all have excellent gouge protection abilities.

Look for MR2 around mid-May....

In as way I feel at a disadvantage because I know my employer is not going to upgrade to mcx anytime soon, but on the other hand I like knowing that I can draw/program with v9.1 without having to stumble my way thru. (for the most part). Maybe by the time we do upgrade, most of the bugs I hear about in "x" will be exterminated.