Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

high feed cutters...

MIL-TFP-41

I ran them in aluminum. Dry machining in steel, but MUST use water with Aluminum. I still kept the feed at about 200 IPM. It's gonna take me a while to build up the guts to push them any faster than that.

I use Iscar's feed mill and they have an insert with a more positive geometry. I used that for aluminum.

If you get to 750 or 1000 IPM I'd like to see a video of that! And bring extra underwear.

Intuitively, given how much softer/gummier aluminum is and can be, and the wildly different thermal properties, I just feel you'd run into problems doing high feed at 750ipm in Al.

But I'd be very curious to hear the real results.

Edit - and yea, if you do, show us some video!!

James,

If you have any aluminum to cut at all, why not go to something that is designed for aluminum. I use Iscar's HeliAlu and cut 750ipm all the time with a 2 in. cutter, but watch out, the chips come come out like bullets. I love this cutter for aluminum.

HTH

quote:

I would agree on using a tool designed for Ally Numium

Ditto, ditto and ditto for all others along this line. HF cutters are for steel and such. I as well just use Iscar Heli, Sandvik (R790), Ingersol (Routermill), carbide endmills, AB Tools, etc, etc. Hitting feeds of 700, 800... 1000+ ipm. Basically, these are the "High Feed" cutters when dealing with "Ally Numium"......

cheers.gifcheers.gif

Thad,

high feed ,... feed mills, ... principles are the same. I've ran Mitsubishi's upwards of .09 per tooth. Iscar's feed mills have higher chip loads for start points. I get better life out of the AJX though and if you blow one up, Mitsubishi replaces the body for free. I have tried to bring feeds up and down to try and run "balanced", toe to toe testing between the two. But for me, the Mitsubishi ends up ahead. I do have friends that have better luck with the Iscar though. I think its definately stuff you gotta play with to see what works the best for you. I'll see if I can dig up an Iscar demo for you...

cheers.gif

quote:

just curious...I have used these with success in steel & other stuff ( Mitsubishi AJX to be exact)...has anyone tried this cutter in Aluminium?

Hi,

Look it will work but i do not see the point. A feed mill can only take 1-2mm depth of cut, Sure it can feed at 2mm per edge but this is not the best way to machihne AL in my opinion.

For Roughing

Finishing

Maybe,... maybe not.... Say you could feed at 2mm per edge in AL, but not restricted to the low surface speed of steel and it worked at normal or above normal speeds. Now calculate the MRR at that spindle speed and chip load. You're moving some serious material. But, as I mentioned before, why bother? You don't need a "specialized" tool to machine like that.

CMR, I just got 2 replacements last week (maybe the week before). Maybe it's a buddy system. We use the snot out of indexable tooling from many brands....