Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Roughing Aluminum?

Anyone have suggestions for roughing 6061 T6 aluminum? I need to rough more than 50% volume of a 20" x 32" x 8" thick billet. We have a low end CAT40 10,000 RPM Haas-VF5. What are best cutters to use w/8"+ tool extension and what kind of feeds and speeds vs. depth and stepover to get best and fastest material removal. Thanks for any advice.

What kind of indexable tooling do you have?? I know in the past we have used the same feed mills we cut tool steel with and were able to almost double the speed and feed but even though its indexable we had to run coolant so the inserts wouldnt load up on us.

Bruce

We use a lot of Carbaloy high speed routers at 10000 rpms,150 ipm w/50 to 75% stepover.Take about .150" depth per pass.We have Fadal & Haas 40 taper machines w/15 hp.We have been running the 30 hp. horiz. Haas machines at up to 300 ipm.w/thru spindle coolant.The Carboloy inserts are high polished & don't get any build up on them.There are other manufacturers making these types of tools.We just got started using carboloy & stuck with them.Good luck

Mark Graham

Austin Machine

We use Carbaloy's Aluminum Cavity Mill in our Haas VF6 30HP 10000 RPM 250 to 300 IMP at 50 to 75% step over .150 deep. The 8"+ extension could cause you some problems. I would rough as much as possible with a shorter tool then go with the long reach. When you extend out that distance chatter can be a problem. Watch out for the chips they could cause you trouble if you are cutting pockets that deep. Also watch your machine's spendle load.

Iscar has some similar tools that looks good for aluminum.

+1 to Surface just don't use the 1.25 shear hog. I only get about 5000 lbs of meterial removed before the cutter breaks in half. Also MA Ford 135 series. We have 2 Haas VF10 40 taper 15000 rpm with 20 HP. We use a .375 dia. cutter .3 deep 12500 rpm feed of 360 ipm (i can't get the machine to go any faster in the feed). Also a 3/4 dia end mill .25 deep 290 ipm 10000 rpm.

quote:

HSS? Do they still make that stuff?

I hate to admit this.

On some of the deeper stuff I do, I have actually found that a 3FL 1.0Ø HSS endmill, in a CAT 40 taper machine, behaves better than carbide. You don't have the chatter problems that an inherent in this setup. The HSS endmill is more forgiving than the carbide.

i use 3/4 diameter roughing endmills from J&L. I go .75 deep at 6000 rpm on a fadal 4020. never a problem. tried coolant thru the spindle but the machine kept leaking from the spindle on to the spindle belts otherwise i would go deeper and faster.

Iscar makes a Multi-Master interchangeable tooling system that has long reach and sum wicked production rates. These mills have cured more than one headache for me. You may also want to check Dapra they have some long reach tooling that does a nice job also. There ball nose inserts with chip brake do an awesome job. They also have a ball nose feed and speed calculator that I wouldn't live with out. Both have web sites.