Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2d chamfer ?

That brings up a good point.

How do you get a chamfer mill to cut using the diameter and not the outside diameter.

I always lie and say the outside diameter is .001 bigger than the diameter on a chamfer mill.

Otherwise the you have to cheat on the x y z stock to leave to adjust.

quote:

How do you get a chamfer mill to cut using the diameter and not the outside diameter.

Not sure of what you mean here.

In his case, he can do .030" chamfer max.

.125(dia)/2 - .005(tip)/2 -.030(tip offset) = .030"

I want the chamfer mill to mill using the nose diameter , not the outside diameter.

Without changing the xyz stock to leave values.

Why not have a setting to switch between the two in the define tool.

That way you could just put in a -.032 for a 1/32 chamfer.

tool.jpg

When setting outside dia (tool dia) and diameter (tip dia) as the same you get a error everytime you backplot.(Invalid tool definition. backplot will show a invalid tool). as you probaly know.

What i'm saying is I would like to use the nose dia as my tool diameter and still have it backplot with the correct looking 45 deg tool in backplot without fudging the numbers to make it work.

Lets say a .62 nose dia and a 1.4 outside diameter tool.

Programing off the .62 dia would make it easier imo.

You could just enter a depth of -.032 to put a 1/32 chamfer on a edge.

quote:

When setting outside dia (tool dia) and diameter (tip dia) as the same you get a error everytime you backplot.(Invalid tool definition. backplot will show a invalid tool). as you probaly know.

You're right, but thats not what I meant wink.gif

You can use face mill that way, say tool is 2" dia, 45 inserts and has 2.5" outside dia. Will verify and backplot o'k.

Still need to adjust depths though...

quote:

What i'm saying is I would like to use the nose dia as my tool diameter and still have it backplot with the correct looking 45 deg tool in backplot without fudging the numbers to make it work.

Lets say a .62 nose dia and a 1.4 outside diameter tool.

Programing off the .62 dia would make it easier imo.

You could just enter a depth of -.032 to put a 1/32 chamfer on a edge.

Isn't that what 2D chamfer does?

chamfer.jpg

Imo it is easier/faster to use contour and have the tool def setup to use a chamfer mill.It just would be nice to see it backplot correctly.

You are correct. that is what 2d chamfer is for.

But its one more step and a couple of numbers to screw up....

same problem here

what I did was to define the chamfer tool as a facemill and then use depth cuts with taper walls to allow for multiple depths, if the tool is defined accuratly and the taper ie 45 deg. is a true angle then the steps on the angled face are usually minimal

hth

I use 2D Chamfer all the time with a tool defined as a chamfer tool. Usually 1/4" dia or 1/2" that comes to a point. I set my depth to INC 0.0", then in the 2D Chamfer boxes I set my tip offset .05" and width of chamfer .02". Obviously the wider the chamfer the larger the tip offset. These values will cause my tool to go to .070" deep and give me a .020" chamfer. I find it works flawlessly.

+100 for Chuck and Matt.

2D Chamfer works great you don't have to trig out the depth or any thing. One tip I give our customers is set your "Depth" to Abs and the "Depth" should be where the top edge of the chamfer lies in Z. Then set the chamfer dialog to the chamfer size and how far away you want to keep the tip of the tool away.

I did not get any error on how Tony described his tool or chamfer settings.

Steve

quote:

set your "Depth" to Abs

This is fine if all the edges you want to chamfer are at constant Z depth, however if your edges are at multiple heights, or you are doing a 3D chamfer then INCremental "0.0" is the only way to go.