Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam Handbook Volume 2

Charles Davis

Just a heads-up to everyone that the Mastercam Handbook Volume 2 for Mastercam X has been delivered to the publisher, and should be available for purchase by clicking on the emastercam.com Books link (above) soon.

This book is over 300 pages long, and has hundreds of illustrations and lots of sample files.

It covers 3D surface modeling and machining, including the new Mastercam High Speed machining functions.

If you are new to Mastercam X, 3D Machining, or just want to learn all there is to know about surface modeling and machining in Mastercam, you may want to check this out.

This book can be used as the main course manual for a college level class in Mastercam, as a self-study guide, or as a ready shop reference.

For you instructors, a curriculum is available that includes hundreds of PowerPoint slides, quizzes, and other things that will make your life easier and allow you to spend your time with students rather than creating training materials.

I'm really proud of this book, and think it is, by far, the best work I've done yet. I am now working of Volume 3, Multiaxis Machining and have some other goodies in the works. wink.gif

Thanks everyone for your support and kind words. If you use the books, I'm really open to input about content, corrections, etc. Just email me at [email protected]

Here is what one user said about the Mastercam Handbooks:

"I feel that the MasterCam Handbook series for X is the best technical training aid that I have ever used.

The books take you from zero knowledge of Cam in steps right through to 5 axis modeling and machining.

Well written, and I think the power of these books is in they make sense to the machinist as well to the Engineer programming for the first time."

Matt McCormick

Prototype Instrument Maker

Eye Concept Lab

USC Keck School of Medicine

Los Angeles CA

Charles Davis! smile.gif lol.. just now someone was suggesting me i buy your book.. and here i find you. biggrin.gif Thx for your effort and i guess i'll give it a try.. but can u please tell me is the Handbook vol 1 takes me from zero and gradually up. MCX is confusing the living hell out of me.. i know 9 fine i'd say... So would the manual be good enough to start with or should i also purchase the beginners book and so on? biggrin.gif

thanks in advance. biggrin.gif

peace

The Handbook Vol 1 takes you from ground zero and covers 2D wireframe, solid modeling, and 2D toolpaths, including spline machining.

Hang in there on X. Once you get used to it, you WILL NOT want to go back to v9. It is a far friendlier work environment with so many nice conveniences.

You just need to quit trying to do everything in X the way you did it in v9. Approach X as if it were new software. Many of the old terminology and ways of doing things do transfer from v9 to X, but it's best to back into those.

I hear you man.. thanks for the advice... i'll try to get ur book as soon as i get the chance hence everyone is praising it... i think its a must. i donno about MCX that much though... i mean everyone's been telling me to learn it i should leave MC9 and not touch it... but work requires that i touch MC9 or else machines will freeze.. and when i get the chance to touch MCX at work... do u know how frustrating it feels. lol.. but i think u're right... i should forget its mastercamX and just deal with it as if its just a new programming software and try to learn it without thinking about MC9.

Good question.

Vol 1: 2-1/2D Modeling and Machining and basic Solid Modeling.

Covers Mastercam Level 1 and Solids: All the basics of Mastercam, how to draw and machine "prismatic" shapes, 2D Splines and basic 4th axis work.

Vol 2: 3D Modeling and Machining.

Covers Mastercam Level 2 and 3: How to create surfaces and machine complex 3D shapes like molds and complex parts.

Vol 3: Multiaxis Machining.

Covers Mastercam Multiaxis: Full 4-5 axis machining.

Here is the link for Vol 2

http://www.volumesdirect.com/detail.aspx?ID=2877&R=1

Resjun and John Giess,

The interface in X2 is not very different from X MR2. It will be like upgrading from V8 to V9. If you want an early look at Mastercam X2 there are twelve preview videos on their web site. We may see a few changes before the release, but the enhancements you see in the videos are pretty much the guts of X2.

If someone was just starting out with X2, they could use the Mastercam Handbooks Volume 1 & Volume 2 to learn the software, they would just be missing the new enhancements.

Documenting revision changes is always a challenge. I do it full time, and it's hard. I don't see how educators especially can deal with the burden of not only learning what's new, but then creating documentation to teach class, and have any time left over for students.

That's why I developed a curriculum to accompany the Handbooks for schools and Mastercam resellers.

Vol 2 is current as of a few weeks ago. My next task is to finish Vol 3, Multi-axis machining, for X.

The way the books are written, you can keep up with minor revisions by just reading the release notes with the new software.

Really, that's the whole idea behind the books. Rather than taking a "monkey-see, monkey-do" approach, I take a comprehensive top-down approach to learning. That way, you develop such situational awareness of what you are doing, updates are not so traumatic. You just know how things work and why, and therefore are well equipped to digest those enhancements easily.

Do you think it would be helpful to have a web site where you could download snippets of the book that change? Would you use that service regularly?

• 1 year later...