Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Forum back up

Webby

The forum went down for 6 hours today. Our ISP disabled the main script around 10:15 am today as a security precaution. I trust everyone got some actual CNC programming done in the meantime.

After some analysis, it looks like it was not really a security issue - just a zealous single user using an offline browser to capture the entire web site. This activity was bogging the server down a bit, and flagged the attention of the sys admin at our ISP.

So as a result, we know have Members only access. Everyone needs to register, even to read the forum. I wonder if the Members total will spike?

Also, the single user who wasted a good part of my day becomes the first member on our banned IP list, and won't be able to register for the forum. They can of course contact me if they'd like to chat about it, once they've read this message after logging in from another location. The words I'm looking for are "I won't do that again."

I also took the opportunity to update the forum to the latest available UBB engine.

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: Webmaster ]

Could this person get our email addresses? Just wondering, because I got an unsolicited email from a guy named Paresh Panchal at a company called Digital Tool Room. The email was quite targeted. I have never received an unsolicited email for shop related items. They have always been Internet related stuff. Has anybody else received this email?

quote:

Hey Bullines, how about sending an unsolicited virus to his IP address?

I feel ethically compelled to say something to the effect of two wrongs don't make a right. I had a professor who was big on ethics. Then again, I didn't always pay attention in class biggrin.gif

Webby has now flicked the proverbial switch that only allows forum members into the forum. To calm any fears, nobody can retrieve our list of e-mails without actually clicking on each user's profile.

I actually get so much spam everyday through the webmaster account on our various domains, that I deleted this email before even reading it. Then I deleted JAMMAN's forward of the email, but retrieved it in time.

We don't sell our email list to anyone.

If you make your email viewable in your profile, it's up there for people who want to check it out. A small price to pay for allowing Members to email you files, etc.

Perhaps 1400 individual emails back to [email protected] letting him know you're not happy would be in order?

Paresh is actually a Member here:

Profile:

http://www.emastercam.com/cgi-bin/ultimate...file&u=00000125

Only post:

http://www.emastercam.com/cgi-bin/ultimate...ic&f=1&t=000089

Hey - they seem to program with Mastercam!

I'll check the forum rules on Monday to see if any have been broken.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I got SPAM from this guy as well. I replied to him and told him to remove me from his list. If he doesn't remove me, I'll bombard his ISP with complaints. I'll create ficticious e-mail addresses at Juno, Netzero, Hotmail and Yahoo to make the point. Not that I'm vindictive or anything. biggrin.gif If there's one thing I hate about e-mail, it's SPAM. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif Getting it really steams my tookus.

JM2C

In the past I got email from crack dealers offering bootleg software for sale. Once I

made my email address unavailable to forum members

the spam stopped. I also forwarded the crack dealers URL to BSA biggrin.gif

99.99% of the people on this forum are cool people who are welcome to my email address. Unfortunatly making it available on the forum makes it available to anyone who takes

five minutes to sign up.

Its too bad Webby can't build an a##&*le

detector into the signup proccess

wink.gif

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: gcode ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I've always been game for that except form one reason (and it's a biggie). I tell my students to come in here and learn and ask questions. Of course, maybe Webby could build a filter so only registered Industrial/Dealer user can see certain aspects of a person's profile.

JM2C.

Oh, if Webby does do that(letting only legit Mastercam Customers in here, which SIM should I give? My personal SIM or my work SIM?