Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

So how many are thinking about V9

cadcam

How many of you are looking at upgrading this year?

There are so many nice new features.

And to upgrade will be snap.

They have made it detect if you have a version 8.

Then asks if you want to take all your config,tools & so on over to the new V9,so now when you start it for the first time all your setting from 8 are all ready there and all those cool tools you made.

Now tell me this is not great.

I know allot of people worry about upgrading and loosing every thing they did in the earlier version.

This will take care about 80% of that.

So I would contact your Dealer NOW.

This is around the corner folks, lets all get on the same page and be ahead.

Talks to those bosses tell them it is time.

So how was that for a pep talk?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I'm STRONGLY encouraging my boss(es) to make the move up to V9. There's some really cool things that are of great benefit to what we do, and since I've been a Beta Tester since September andthat's all I've been using, I can't live without it.

We'll see if they release a few buck for us to get it soon.

We are trying but it's been such a tough year that it isn't looking very good .. I doubt the company will spend the money on the upgrade .. go figure ..their dropping all kinds of $$ on mergers and acquisitions ..yet they cut my pay 4% and forced me to 32 hour work weeks .. I doubt they will approve the ver 9 upgrade ..

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Whats the differance between 8.1 & 8.1.1,i am using 8.1

mold100

The differences can be found in the "What's New In Version 8.1.1 pdf in Start, Programs, Mastercam 8 folder. It's 10 pages. If it were shorter I'd list them here.

BTW, I'd strongly advise moving to 8.1.1 as some somewhat signifigant issues were dealt with in that - the final release for Version 8.

K_Herzog,

Don't do much with Solids, Surfacing, and/or 4/5 Axis? Did you strictly use V9 when you were Beta Testing or did you use a combination of V8 and V9? Just wondering.

Replying to James-

True, we don't use solids and we don't use 4 or 5 axis. Theres seems to be a lot of improvements there. For surfaces there are some options I liked quite a bit, but overall the upgrade seems like it should called v8.2

We've used v8 and v9 while beta testing and voted to wait and see what v10 has to offer instead of upgrading at the moment.

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: K_Herzog ]

Business is bad, we're at half staff and there are a lot of outstanding accounts recievable. The boss just hopes to get through the next 6 months. We have 4 mill 7.2, 1 mill 8.1 and Design 8.1. It all works well so we'll probably stay with it.

Is there a pdf out there with the Ver9 improvements listed? It was so much easier when we had maintainance contracts in place. Even if MC only put out every two years it would be a help to have an update contract. Maybe the dealers should do it on their own as a marketing thing.

V9 is awesome. There are a lot of "little" features such as more control over drilling cycles, ie... the rapid "Z" heights from hole to hole. Surfaceing options alone would make me upgrade. Better pocketing methods for removing hard materials at increased depths. Man, I could just go on & on. From the perspective of being a dealer and having the opportunity to visit many shops, V9 offers something for all levels of users who want to stay on the top of the programming/software game.

When my boss asked about upgrading to v9 I recommended he not upgrade. We don’t use solids so maybe I didn’t see all the fun new features. Version 9 does have bug fixes and some nice UI tweaks I would like have. But with things so tight I couldn’t recommend paying money for bug fixes and UI tweaks. So, I have to agree with a previous poster that it should be called 8.2 or maybe even 8.5.

Bryan

The Jump from V8 to v9 as opposed to V8 to v10 for me seems to be cheaper in the long run . Has anyone done a price comparison when making a single version stage upgrade as to a double

version upgrade. I do know that Version 10 will have a completly new GUI. That means an almost completly revamped Mastercam to learn all over again.

I must agree with the previous posters. Version 9 seems more like it should be called Version 8.5 or 8.2 rolleyes.gif

Post preveiw is really nice Webby!

I got a Mastercam LOOOOOVE jones

Kenneth Potter

I thought that for every major version release one has to pay the upgrade fee. That means if you wait until vs 10 the charge would be double if you went from vs8-vs10. eek.gif

I'm glad to report that we just got the P.O. sent to upgrade all our seats(approx 17)to vs9 and I cant wait. Beta was a blast to cut my teeth on.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

.....That means if you wait until vs 10 the charge would be double if you went from vs8-vs10.

This is absolutely positively FALSE!!!!!!!

You do not pay that way like Gibbs, SmurfSCAM, Pro/E, CATIA, UG, etc, ad infinitum.

You pay the same whether (sp?) you're going from V6 to V9 as you would going from V8-V9. No difference. Now if you have a Green SIM or a Black SIM that's an entirely different issue and you should contact your reseller for more information.

No HTML enabled Webby? I wanted to change the size to 20 on what I bolded.

[ 02-01-2002, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

Just thought I'd ring in on this one. I've been a beta site for V9, and my opinion is only a bit different from others who think that V9 should be called V8.5. I think that it should be called V8.8. Don't get me wrong, it's great, but for someone who doesn't do alot of 3d stuff, you probably could do with using V8.1.1. V9 has some very nice features that help, but nothing earth shattering.

Having said that, I'm upgrading to V9 w/solids and level 3.

JM2C

Mike R.

Life Long MasterCAM user

[ 02-01-2002, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: Michael Reynolds ]