Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

wide screen

phil darcy

Last year, someone on the forum bought a Dell

workstation with a Quadro video card and widescreen monitor.

Circles appeares eggshaped and monitor seemd useless for Cad/Cam work.

The solution was to uninstall the Dell supplied video card drivers and replace them with Nvidia Quadro drivers.

Soooo....The IT guy just showed me the benefits of this. Im supposed to find out if you guys are splitting between a cheap vidio card for the dual application and the nvidia for mastercam or just using an extremly expensive nvidia card for all applications. Currently using nvidia GEforce 6600 and I dont know if it supports dual monitors or not.

quote:

Circles appeares eggshaped and monitor seemd useless for Cad/Cam work.

When the circles appear eggshaped it's usually a setting in the display drivers. This happens on the widescreen monitors when you set them to use a standard (non-widescreen) display resolution and it stretches the image to fit the monitor. You can use a standard (non-widescreen) display resolution but it needs to be configured in your display settings. This results in black space on the left & right sides of the monitor (since it isn't stretching it to fit the whole screen).

quote:

Im supposed to find out if you guys are splitting between a cheap vidio card for the dual application and the nvidia for mastercam or just using an extremly expensive nvidia card for all applications.

I would guess most people are running a Quadro FX Cad/Cam card. You want to make sure your card supports DUAL DIGITAL (DVI) output.

At one point I had a Quadro FX-500 which had one digital and one analog slot. With 2 monitors running side by side, the analog monitor really looked bad... really really bad.

After looking at the specs, it looks like the

FX-550 is the bottom of the line for dual DVI

Quadro FX specs_ PCI Express

Personally, I wouldn't go any lower than the

FX-1400

I'm sure some of the better Nvidia gaming cards have dual DVI output, but I didn't have any luck finding a comparison chart.

edit: the above recommendadtion is for dual monitors of regular width. The new wide screen format requires pretty high end cards

Dell Wide Screen Video card recommendations

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

NVidia IS the card of choice for serious CAD/CAM/CAE work. ATI is crap, though two of the CATIA workstations where I work have ATI Workstation class cards. We'll see how well they work when I crank up the resolution and the Photo-Realistic rendering. biggrin.gif