Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X2 and Vista

Ed@Elite

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I only fail on onee aspect for minimum requirements - HDD space. But, just like a pile of $#!+, it don;t need to step in Vista to prove it is a pile of $#!+ !!! I can smell it from here.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vista, as far as I know, hasn't dropped OpenGL. It's just up to ATI and NVidia to get the drivers right. I have Vista but haven't done anything graphic intensive. I also bought the machine new so that might help. So far I haven't had any real bad problems. Everything I've installed has worked except for my printer(no drivers). As far as I'm concerned, the 1st Vista release is WAY more compatable with everything I've thrown at it than the 1st release of XP. I bought my dell 1 month before XP was released and when I upgraded, nothing worked so I'm happy with Vista right now. My wife just bought a laptop with XP a 2 weeks ago and she already has problems with freeze-ups. I'll be honest, Vista is not as nice as a Mac (Vista is a clone of OSX as far as alot of features) but I'm pretty pleased so far. I only bought a pc laptop because it was a little cheaper for the features ($200) but so far it's treating me good. I loaded Lightwave 3D on it but haven't tried anything on it yet. But it does load up with no freeze-ups so that's good.

I've got Vista and X2 running on an AMD processor with 2 Gig's RAM and an ATI X1600 or 1700 graphics card (can't remember which). Checked regen times on a couple of surface models compared to my Dell M70 that I carry on the road and it beat it. It's a fairly cheap box that I built at home and so far it seems OK. JM2C

quote:

Vista, as far as I know, hasn't dropped OpenGL. It's just up to ATI and NVidia to get the drivers right.

Not quite true.

Microsoft have frozen the implementation that will work at v1.4.

All this implementation does is translate OpenGL calls into DirectX.

Not exactly embracing a standards based technology.

Any legacy ICD will automatically disable the Desktop Windows Manager.

Any Vista-compatible ICD is, by definition, NOT OpenGL.

If you are a SolidWorks user, you are essentially screwed for the foreseeable future.

For kicks, I broght home 7.2, 8.11, and MR0105 install CD's and loaded on Vista. All are up and running. Our office manager had a call from a customer running 8.11 and needed an new PC. His boss has him one coming with Vista on it. As a dealer I need to have some answers on stuff like this, so............ It runs well for me.

Thanks for the info Todd.

Makes me wonder why they posted on the website that X2 MR2 would be required on Vista. Maybe it's the only version they will officially support on Vista from here forward.

Vista performance versus Xp Pro just blows.

There is no other way to put it.

I'm ordering a new Dell with Xp Pro tomorrow morning.

I've actually been a Microsoft supporter in the past.

In the past I thought that it was great that they brought standards, defacto or otherwise.

Now, I have nothing but disdain for them.

I use their stuff begrudgingly because I have to.

I don't have to buy Vista so I wont.

Xp is arguably the best OS MS ever produced.

Vista is nothing more than a business plan to FORCE people into an "upgrade" that provides ZERO benefits. There is ZERO reason for any Xp user to switch. There is no benefit to Vista.

It simply isn't a "killer app".

I hope the EU sticks it to them good on Vista and forces them to properly support existing users.

Steve Balmer is the Anti-Christ!