Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2 months later for X2

spade117

I wanted to start using X2, but noticed that it runs very slow. I did some searches on this and see that some people had this problem also, but there was really never a consensus on what caused it. Does anyone know?

Also have there been any other problems/fixes that you had to adjust for in the last 2 months?

Thanks.

Randy,

I agree.

There seems to be a memory leak somewhere.

After a period of time X2 does slow down.

Granted a simple restart clears it, it will happen again after time.

I've noticed it only seems to happen if it is open with a file. If it is open with now file open I have not seen a problem.

But Spade I would not let that dissuade you from making the jump.

quote:

There seems to be a memory leak somewhere.

After a period of time X2 does slow down

well...... it is running in windoze. and they set the standard for memory consumption. here all this time I thought it was me that was slowing down after a long period of time. hhhmmmm

Will try that Colin, and see if it helps, but as others have said, I usually restart every 2 hours or so and go on. I am designing most of my forming dies in X, so am drawing in it all day long and you get tired of waiting for dialog boxes to pop up when your clicking like a madman smile.gif

I have Solidworks too, but can't seem to do all the things I want and need to do when drawing forming dies around whatever part data is sent to us in everything from iges, ug, catia, etc. so I find myself designing in X for the most part. I hope they look into this issue, but so far I haven't heard any comments from CNC that they even realize this is happening. I know Windows is far from perfect, but if X is going to live there, they have to learn to get along...

There can be a speed issue with X2 and the HST toolpaths, the problem started with a few situations where the toolpath wouldn't machine the entire mold. To fix the problem we switch to a different data structure for the surface calculation, there was a slight time hit (4 to 7%). The time wasn't big enough for us to be conserned, what we didn't realize is that with bigger parts the time can be much longer than the 4%. We've added some extra logic to the data structure and should see a calculation times speed back up with the release of MR1.

The issue being described is not a toolpath generation issue. Though I still find the HSS toolpaths can take painfully long to generate when compared the Surface Rough paths.

The problem is the slow down of the performance of the X2 itself, dialog boxes lag when popping up, menus can take several seconds to complete the screen loading, geometry manipulation an get choppy.

There "appears" to be a graphics memory bleed somewhere.

Ramsaver should not need to be employed every 15 minutes and even if it was it does not appear to cure a system that has already begun lagging.

Colin while I appreciate the advice, why is it Ramsaver has become such a big crutch? Read your replies and just how many times you have suggested it's use. That just should not be needed for everyday use.

Setting Display Options to Maximum Performace

will improve X2 and all other Cad/Cam software's

performance quite a bit.

I have noticed that the color menu starts popping up noticably slower after a long session.

Shutting down X2 and restarting fix it.

And it's not card specific,

ATi at work , FX1300 at home, both systems experience it, both are set for max performance, both are 3 gigs Xeon at work, P4 at home, both with 2 gigs of ram.

g, it does fix it but the why question remains.

Yeah, thanks for the post Mark, but the problem I'm talking about is in the cad end of things, I'm not even doing toolpaths.

Edit: gcode, I did set my system to max performance after we discussed this last time, and it helps a little, but still requires a restart at least every 2 hours for me, and more often if I'm drawing nonstop.

quote:

The problem is the slow down of the performance of the X2 itself, dialog boxes lag when popping up, menus can take several seconds to complete the screen loading, geometry manipulation an get choppy.

These are exactly the problems it is giving me. It is too slow for me with all the lagging. I would rather work with MCX MR2 than deal with the lagging I am getting.

New question: If I opened a file in X2, I now get the warning that it won't open in the older version...it says I have to convert it back...how is that done?

I have found it worse on my system. X2 seems to lag very often. So much so that I have gotten in a habbit of leaving another program open on the task bar and when it lags out, I just switch to that other program, wait for a few seconds, then go back to X2 and it works fine untill the next time.

Gets annoying, but workable. I have a real problem with backplotting. It lags right at the start, so if I use the above method, depending on the length of the toolpath, when I switch back to X2 it is done already....that one is quite annoying.