Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Desperatly Need Help!

ILv2Rk

Alright I am using X2 and I am trying to get a decent "finish" path to run on the 3-D shape in this picture. (Just the shape which starts from the bottom of the C-bore at the Square shape and flows into the round shape through the part.)

Help.jpg

I have tried so many things I am about to give up. I thought the HS Waterline toolpath should work. I have a good toolpath (#4 in example file) but whrn I try to change stock to leave tjo zero and cut stepdowns down to .003" everything goes haywire.

Everything is finished except for this area.

Material is Aluminum block.

I saved a file to the FTP site in the MCX2_Files called "HELP.MCX"

Do I have perameters set wrong or something?

Jeff

Haywire how ?

If you can't get the high speed toolpath to give good results how about trying the old faithful ones ?

Would you be willing to break it into 2 ops ?

I often use surf finish contour with the shallow box enabled and set to remove cuts from shallow areas (allow partial cuts and set to 40 deg). Following the contour I use a surf finish shallow from 0 to 45 degrees.

Check the code if you use the scallop toolpath. I've found that scallop sometimes gives you a toolpath that has a LOT of very short XYZ moves that can make the machine jerk, rattle and roll. It also doesn't give a good finish. When that happens I don't know how to get around it.

I've found that using a surface finish contour and a surface finish shallow toolpath will yield consistently good results.

quote:

I've found that using a surface finish contour and a surface finish shallow toolpath will yield consistently good results.

+1 to that..

In order to keep Contour from overcutting in the shallow ramped area, I would use .005/ inc on depth cuts.

Then use an angle of 55 degrees on this part for shallow. That should start the toolpath way up the arc where it starts leaving the stock on the floor.

Shallow will work too if you get the arc filters tweaked in with the tolerance. But it will start making alot of direction changes in the middle of the part and if your machine isn't real tight, finish will be poor.

quote:

That depends a lot on the filter settings as well as the ability to cut 3D helical arcs at the machine

yup...I guess if your lucky to have an expensive machine that does NURBS smoothing, you can just skip the arc filters altogether and just do point to point on 3-axis circular on all those miles and miles of code. biggrin.gif

I would go with Surface Finish Scallop toolpath.

Smit, do you find scallop gives you jerkey motion through the entire pocket or just on the top edge? I have noticed this in the past but just on the top edge. my way around this is leave about .005 on my containment boundry, then project a 2d contour to remove the .005". This works out well for me, and gives you a great finish.