Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Did I just lose 3 days of programming?

gms1

Someone here built the S2f script located in the vb scripts folder on the ftp. This tool is great, because not only can you use MCAMs normal backup and saving you can also store a copy somewhere else. Mastercam will let me keep a copy on our general cnc network drive that everyone stores on, and a local backup copy. Then with the s2f, if its really important, two clicks and I have a copy saved on my personal space in the network drive. 3 copies, different places.

Weve all been burnt, eventually you learn to set it up so your less likely to get burnt. It sucks, its not mastercams fault, learn from it, fix the problem, get back to work.... biggrin.gif

Back in V9 I used to get burned by autosave when

working with large files. Some of these files took a minute or longer to write to the hard drive. I'd be working away and the computer would hang up while autosave was writing. The computer is trying to write 100 meg to the hard drive and keep track of me blissfully pounding away on the keyboard. The results sometimes got ugly.

I got out of the habit of using autosave and

just backed up manually and frequently.

With the advent of X_MR2's autoback utility, I don't even think about it anymore. I use it and it works, but X_Mr2 and X2 have been rock solid for me.

I have not had a file destroying crash in a long long time, in fact I go months on end without a crash of any kind.

I am convinced that the "include a bitmap in file

when saving" option is responsible for the lion's share of these "0 byte" crashes.

When this option is enabled, the videocard caputes and writes a screen shot every time you hit save.

If there is a glitch, you wind up saving nothing,

which results in a 0 byte file.

This is the first thing I turn off when I install Mastercam and I don't suffer from 0 byte crashes.

[ 02-25-2007, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: gcode ]

• 1 month later...

I have had this happen to me several times. It happens when I am saving a file or the system just crashes. The file is still there but the file sizes is usually 256K with no entities in the file. Everything is gone. It has happened both saving to the hard drive and to a network. It just happend to me again yesterday. And I lost a whole days work.

I run autosave, but all files are saved to the server. The server is backed up every night to an offsite location, with a back up for each day of the week. You end up with a weeks worth of back ups at all times. More than once I've needed one of those files!