Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Done with X

oh brother

Mastercam 9 ???

Yeah i really miss that. It used to crash at least 3 times a day - very frustrating. X2 very rarely crashes, and even when it does it is easy to recover.

As the others say, when you get used to it its really good and I would never go back to v9.

The first release of X was pants, but CNC software have got their act together and put out a really polished product now.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Can you still use the keyboard strokes in X or (X2)

as you would in earlier versions?

You can use about 1/4, if that many. Most of the F-keys are the same, and a few Alt+keys. But to access the menu functions you have to use the alt key first, and stuff like creat-arc-radius-*input your radius*-*click your position*-done is now alt-create-arc center point-*click on the radius field now*- *input your radius*-*oh ya click the little button to lock your radius if you want more than one*-*now you can click your position*-*oh ya, don't forget to click the little check mark now*

Most of these functions have those added little steps of click in this field and then click this button to lock that and then click apply or the checkmark. Everyone talks about clicking being faster, but theyre jsut talking about that one click to get the operation started.

And by the way I had the option of using v9 anytime I wanted, but I stick with X2 becuase that's what you have to do to stay current.

In the end all I'm saying is that in a perfect fantasy world, if CNCsoftware could have left all the V9 inputs in as an option, *just like they were - no additional keystrokes*, but had the fancy new GUI interface for everyone else then that would have made transition alot easier for *some* of us, and kept those keystroke users at a productive pace, not haveing to spend downtime learning the new interface. Let's say development of that was a minimal expense. Will anyone tell me that would be harmfull to the end product? I've noticed very few people actually read my posts this far though, since I'm sure someon will just tell me for a 4th time again, "It's all there, just hit the alt key first!"

All right, let me have it tongue.gif

"Reason: Tplane and Cplane is suck in X, When you pick up new Tplane, It change The Origin X0 Y0 Z0 and they didn't know."

V9 Did the same thing when using geometry to create the plane. Because the intersection of the lines or the center of the arc they used to was not at x0y0z0. They need to reset the origin on the same page they name it or it will move as it did. Sounds like they need some training, and maybe they should skim through their program to verify the numbers, at least until they are sure they are doing it correctly. Good Luck.

On Crashing:

My experience with X has told me that if you have more than one version loaded onto a computer you will definetly crash sometime daily. If you uninstall all versions, reboot, then reload only the version that you want to use you will have significantly less crashes. Not saying that it will be crash free, just alot more reliable. Slower computers will crash more and moving too quickly from one command to the next will cause alot of problems also.

ToolMan,

"V9 Did the same thing when using geometry

to create the plane. "

No, Previous Version or V9 was fine, It is never changed the origin when you pick new Tplane / Cplane. That why they didn't pay attention to Origin.

"Sounds like they need some training"

This programmer is 10+ years expert on 3+2 and 5-Axis programming, the way He did it worked fine in the past.

Like I wrote a bove " This was a first job he progrmming in X" that why it happend.

-----

quote:

My experience with X has told me that if you have more than one version loaded onto a computer you will definetly crash sometime daily.

Can't say as I agree with that. I usually have at least 2 versions and a beta version installed all the time and have had very few crashes overall. Never daily.

Old dog new tricks huh?

You guys are funny rolleyes.gif

Try working for yourself, 14-16 hrs a day 6-7 days a week.

You are the one who has to do everything.

At the end of the day, you are too tired to sweep up around your machines, let alone try to rack your brain trying to learn a whole new way of doing things that you have spent years perfecting already.

When you open the shop doors, you are instantly drawing new geometry, and crunching a toolpath so you can try to stay ahead of your machines.

Since you are the engineer/operator/programmer, your machines are just sitting there waiting on you to feed them, you are not making any money if they are not running.

You try to have some proggy's done the previous day so when you get to work you can start making money pretty soon after you walk in the door. But sometimes you don't get them done, you just want to go home and get some sleep.

There is no way, you want to take your work home with you and "practice".

So now all 3 of your machines are just sitting there, waiting on you to try to figure out how and why my software isn't working the way it should.

Why is it crashing all the time?

Damn it's been 4 hrs and my machines are still sitting there not making chips.

I have a job in the back of my truck that the customer is calling me on and have to deliever it. Was hoping to have my machines working while I was gone, tuff luck.

After 3 hrs, you are back and it has been 7 hrs and your machines have not made one single chip.

Man I need some training.

Must drive 120 miles round trip and get some.

Hrmmm I wish I had the time to take off and get some....

But for today, maybe if I redo everything in 9, I will get lucky and make it home by midnight...

Sometimes, it is not as simple not WANTING to learn something new....

Now I think X2 is really good now, but it has been a struggle for me to learn the new interphase.

But it will be worth it to stay current with your software program. If you are in business for yourself you cannot afford to be without support, and they have great support here.

Just make the change at your own pace.

quote:

There is no way, you want to take your work home with you and "practice".

That's the way I did it. No one likes working for free. But learning the new version will eventually benefit you by making you faster and thus giving you more free time to work on the next version. Sometimes you have to donate some time to become more efficient.

I have always enjoyed the challenge of learning a new version. It keeps the job from becoming boring. That's why I don't mind playing with it on my own time.

quote:

I have always enjoyed the challenge of learning a new version. It keeps the job from becoming boring. That's why I don't mind playing with it on my own time.

Well, after having to learn Proe and X at the same time, I don't care if I never learn a different Cad-Cam system as long as I live biggrin.gif

Sometimes ya just want to have the time to take off and just go fishing cheers.gifcheers.gif