Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Done with X

oh brother

My specific of my current work is that I need to produce lots of code most of it pocket ,contour and drill .

Sometimes surface-parallel or contour

Sometimes 4-5 axes swarf or contour 5x

Lot`s of 5x positioning

And i am fast with v9

And have no free time at all .

I am working 10-12 hours every day and can not

eat out all the job

I simply have no time for playing .

Looking toward what other guys write about bugs make me not happy at all .

And drawing is slow .

Just say what you want ,it is SLOWWWW .

i NEED TO DISPERCE MY ATTENTION ALL OVER THE SCREEN WHILE IN 9 I AM FLYING .

i tried many times .

I feel discomfort

So from one side I have no urgent need for X2

I `ve installed it and use from time to time .

Still when it comes to real work I use v9

Your arguments like WE WILL LOOSE JOBS NOT

RELIVANT AT all

We are winning jobs .

It is not a software ,it is programmer that make good parts fast enough .

This is my personal point of view .

I always say what I think and say it straight in tthe eyes .

I am not a lawyer.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Your arguments like WE WILL LOOSE JOBS NOT

RELIVANT AT all

We are winning jobs .

It is not a software ,it is programmer that make good parts fast enough .

This is my personal point of view .

It is a very short sighted view Alex.

Management needs to think from your customers point of view, it might not be relevant "right now," in time how ever it will become an issue no matter how good, unless you want to stay a small shop and growth is not an issue.

When you grow a shop you need to offer something your competitor does not. How much longer before the files you get cannot be imported into V9 and your customer can't or won't go back to the well to give you and "old" file, it WILL happen in time, I don't care how good the programmer is at his job. From a business standpoint there is ALOT more going on than just a good programmer.

I am not trying to argue with you Alex, I just think you need to think about the bigger picture a bit more than it seems like you do.

cheers.gif

I meet a guy who still uses an early 90's Smartcam package that runs on an old Apple system.

He has been struggling for years to keep a computer running and has a closet full of old parts. He checks Ebay weekly for parts and rarely turns his computer off cause he's afraid it won't start back up. He does some amazing stuff with this primitive system. He is an old dog and he will not learn new tricks. If he ever leaves his current job he will be screwed as there aren't many shops running 15 year old Smartcam.

If he ever reaches the point where he can't keep

a computer running, he'll be equally screwed.

V9 guys are at least a decade away from this extreme, but it is a vaild point.

Since MS dropped OpenGL support I can see hardware/driver/OS becoming a problem for V9 users 2 or 3 years down the road.

V7 has been sunseted. If you call your dealer and say "I can't get V7 to run on Vista." they will say,"too bad we don't support V7 any more".

V9 will susset in 3 years ± 6 months and it will be increasingly difficult to keep it running on whatever OS/hardware combination is available.

I can just picture old V9 guys fighting on ebay

over working Quadro/ Geforce video cards and APG/PciE motherboards.

If you work in a small shop, you may get away with staying on V9 for a long time. I know a lot of guys who refuse to even look at X and thier

employment opportunties grow slimmer with each passing year.

There are dozens of guys on this forum who have never even seen V9. I know of a half dozen shops in my area who started up with X or switched from Gibbs/Edgecam/Espsirt to X or X2.

These shops have never used V9 and have no need of

a V9 driver. Thier resume won't get a second glance.

Until its broke don't fix it. (old thinking)

I started doing easy ones in X2 1st. to

get a grip in it.

The pull down menu are the best way to start

And, It's never too late. Anyone can learn X2 in a

couple weeks, especially if they are fluent in

the older vers. of MC. Small learning curve IMO.

I never used MC before and I had modeled and cut

a mold with 2 slides and an odd P/L. (4days)

It is not difficult, but for my (2nd job in X2).

it was fun

Top p/l

ex1top.jpg

underside

ex2underside.jpg

quote:

It's pretty much exactly like it was except you have to hit the ALT and maybe some letters have changed...

... wow your right! It is exactly the same... except for this, this, you have to do this first, this is now that, oh and you can't do that anymore to get back to that... thanks, why didn't I see that? rolleyes.gif

Now I'm not advocateing that we all ban X and revert back to 9, since there are many benifits. But I'm with Iskandar! Things that used to be just a few keystrokes, not just bringing up the line toolbar, but doing the entire operation now take a bunch of dispersed clicks. And now everything has to be customized so people can get back up too speed. The problem at my shop is customization isn't allowed, so all installs are the same.

I'm just trying to say that I think a useful feature has been lost, and I'd like to see it brought back as an option, just an option. And I know people would rather see more toolpaths and stuff, but I don't see how it could be that difficult. Like I said, AutoCAD was able to keep that option around for years.

quote:

rolleyes.gif

That much we can agree on.

Beyond that, if I worked for a company like that I would waste no time in going as far up the chain of command as necessary to explain how a single bad policy can cost lots of money.

In my opinion the solution Thad presents in this LINK would be a great compromise for everybody at your company.

[ 03-04-2007, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Matt Berube at Ferron Mold ]

quote:

Everyone is bitching about how fast they used to be able to type C-L-E. What's so hard about clicking the Create Line Endpoints icon?

1 click vs. 3 pecks. it's a no brainer.

1 click vs. 3 pecks. it's a no brainer.

~~~~~~~~~~~

That`s your personal preference .

Depends on what you are regular to .

I work with keyboard fast (with my eyes closed )

I hate programs using mouse heavily like Cimatron

(they use all the right ,middle and left clicks and all their combination L+M+R ,L+R,M+R ).

My hand is aching after the day work .

Some people like it (no need to work with keyboard !!!

I hate .

This is personal .

quote:

That`s your personal preference .

i use to use the keyboard all the time also and never used icons or the auto cursor.now i like it and find it faster.to each his own.doesn,t matter to me if you peck or click.