Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X2MR1 lag?

spade117

I had the lag and crash issues with an old Athlon 3200 and 3dLabs AGP8X card, 2Gig ram, single SATA 120gb HD, XP PRO, Norton AV. Started immediately after going to X2. No uninstall, re-install, etc.,(of X2) would fix it. Didn't matter if solids, surfs, 2d wire. Problem migrated to Xmr1, also.

Totally disgusted...

So, upgraded to intel E6600 Core2 Duo, Quadro FX3400, 2g ram,XP Pro, now no issues with lag, but its still not very fast. Use Ramsaver a lot, that helps, and am trying out RamDisc Pro.

Unfortunateley, that doesn't really help single out the problem. Used the same HD, just had to re-install Windows because of all the new hardware. All other sofware was left as-is on the disc.

Because other people with similar hardware to my "upgrade" have the problem, perhaps re-install or repair of Windows might be worth a try?

My system here gets left on permanently, with Mcam running, and has not YET experienced the gradual degradation in performance, as before.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow...RAMDisc Pro...haven't heard that talked about for a while. I actually bought a copy a few years back to use with v9 trying to get faster toolpath generation times. Didn't seem to really help all that much for me, in fact, I think I remember it causing me problems with large toolpath file generating. If the temp files for the toolpath being generated get larger then the amount of ram you have set aside with ramdisc pro to write to, the toolpath would fail and you'd need to start over again. Still have a legit license but don't even use it at all anymore...

When you say "it's" still not very fast, what are you referring to? Toolpath generation time?

I think a lot of people are mistaking the lag issue being discussed here, which is MC lagging with everything, mouse movement, dialog windows taking a few seconds to pop up, the color dialog taking a long time to fully open...etc.

quote:

My system here gets left on permanently

personally, I think this is the best practice for any system. Just defrag regularly and try to keep your system spyware/virus free. I think turning you rcomputer on/off is one of the more damaging things you can do with your system IMO

[ 04-10-2007, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: Zero ]

Zero, I agree with keeping it on always- I only turn off the screen when leave.

Craig Madsen (CM3D) is getting really good results with Ramdisc- but he's got 2 gigs set aside. I'm getting some more memory, and going to XP64 to try that.

As for still not fast, I am talking about toolpath generation and verify, not the general lag with the mouse, etc. I had the lag and crash deal going, as well as slow processing. I had hoped the new hardware would be a LOT faster, but its only a maybe 30% faster than the old system. Lotta money for an uninspiring performance...

At least the lag went away, but, Like I said, I don't know if hardware was the answer- seems like the Windows reload is what made the difference. Maybe.

Oddly, I have a notebook with all the same software, and it doesn't lag at all. Turion64, 2G ram, ATI x700 graphics, its nearly as fast as the new desktop, and it didn't cost much more than the list price of that Quadro card...

I tend to think this is NOT a windows issue.

I rebuilt this system, new hard drive, extra gig of RAM(2), fresh windows install, I still see it.

I know defrag is not an issue, I run disk keeper religiously and ONLY MC does it.

I have run UGNX, I still run Solidworks, nothing else notices anything at all.

So from my side of the fence I don't "believe" it's a windows issue.

Wouldn't be the post with all the new functions would it? I noticed my Haas VF-4 post for V9.1 is about 1/3 the size of the MPMASTER I'm using. Every op has to go back and determine stock left and cutter dia. min max Z etc. to display on the .nc file. Just a thought.

OK John, guess its not a windows thing... so, something in my hardware change caused it to go away, do you see anything that would account for it? I pretty much plugged the old HD into a new computer, and reloaded windows. No more lag...but some of the drivers were replaced, mostly just video drivers for the quadro, and they were just the ones the card came with. So, I guess we still nowhere. Sorry, just tryng to help.

PS, I like your sig- is that Jaba the Hut?

For ME it appears that it's the video driver...and it is tied to solid entities.

And it is prob different glitches for different systems.

I did this experiment.

I took a very large solid model with lots of toolpaths.

I converted to surfs. saved that file so I would have 2 identical files, only difference is one is solids and one is surfs.

Now. Open the file that is surf.

Shade your part and open a para's page. Click on the red X to close the page.

Unshade your part and repeat.

On my machine, using the surf model, both times I close the para's page it is instant.

Now repeat the same thing on the solid file.

Unshaded, the para's page closes instantly.

When I turn on the shading, it takes 2 full sec's to close the para's page.

So for me, on my machine, my lag issue has something to do with shaded solids....so it points to the video driver and that only makes since.

MC's achellis heal has always been the video drivers...

EDIT...one more thing...the lag issue also has something to do with association.

I did another experiment.

I deleted my solid so I removed all the file associations. The undeleted and saved the file.

No lag at all..

Whenever I choose my solid for the drive surfs in one of my ops, that is where the trouble starts.

But I am sure QC prol already knows thisand is working on the problem.

[ 04-11-2007, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: Murlin ]

Interesting, over a week now and no (direct) input on this thread from CNC Software. With so many of us seeing this problem it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to reproduce - especially since some of the systems are running their recommended hardware.

I have one question for all of you guys.

Who is running their machine as a nethasp server?

I recently took the nethasp server program off of my computer and oput it on a different computer and it made a world of difference. I was experiencing the same lag as you guys.

Just a thought.

I'm on a netowrked computer running a USB Hasp

and I'm not experiencing any lag.

I'm wondering if IE6 or IE7 might be the cause.

This machine has IE6 and no lag

my home machine has IE7 and does lag a little,

not like some people ae reporting.

quote:

I'm wondering if IE6 or IE7 might be the cause.

No, definately not.

quote:

Is anyone with a dedicated PC experianceing the lag?

That would be me.....yes! No anti virus nuthing....still get lag on my test files same as stated earlier up....

And to double check I rolled back to IE6, uninstalled Net Framework 3.0 and still got lag.

I should have uninstalled all the Windows Hotfixes and Ver 9 as well but I needed my 'puter and had to reload my system file..

I highly s'pect it would not make any difference at all though...

Stupid question,

would the pwr supply have anything to do with it?

(Would a formatted HD be the ticket)

I have 500watt, little to zero lag, also when I

recieved X2 It was installed on a brand new

freshly formatted system.

No previous versions of MC and registry would

have been crystal clean as well.

M2C

rick

[ 04-12-2007, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Rickster ]

I have not experienced the slow down problems that you've all been describing, but I have been having problems with MR1 crashing.

There isn't any one process that makes it crash. I've had it happen while doing simple trimming in wire frame or copying geometry to another level. It gets really bad when trying to trim surfaces though.

Anyone else seeing this?

Do these lags also include the whole screen going white briefly? Does the slow mouse mean you move it and it doesn't immediately react or you click a tab or box and it is a few seconds before any action happens? I've had occasional white screens before but today I got the most complex file I've had since X2 install and I get white screen quite often and sometimes it crashes. Also when I click something nothing happens for 2-5 seconds.

Well, next week I'll get to try my new box and see if it behaves any better than anything else I have had so far.

Asus P5B

Intel Duo Core E6600

2 gigs RAM

Quadro FX1500

550 Watt PWS

220 gig H/D