Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X2 MR1 Lathe Verify vs. Backplot

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Ok, here's the dilemma...

Bacplot shows me good cartoons biggrin.gif , Verify however.. nothing like what backplot shows... mad.gif Which one should I trust?

I'd share it with the Forum but I can't for confidentiality reasons.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

My gut says "trust backplot". But i just wanted to hear it from someone else too.

I'm going ot send this into CNC and ask WTF??? biggrin.gif ROFL!!!! j/k

But I'll certainly ask the question why the difference between Backplot and Verify. I've tried different settings in Verify asl well... no difference in the visual representation.

Thanks John.

But if anyone else has 2¢ to add, I'd sure like to hear about it. biggrin.gif

Since we're not privy to what your exact discrepancy is I can't offer any true insight, but, I'm with the consensus; trust the backplot. Verify has always had some quirks [drills coming in from the back of the part instead of the front, tools not taking stock when they really do, strange orphaned "unmachined" areas that don't really exist] in lathe so I don't think anybody completely trusts it; still a nice tool to have as long as you know that it ain't "the law"

C

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

The exact discrepancies are an "apparently" tapered OD, an "apparently" tapered ID, and blown out .004 corner radii.

I uploaded 2 pictures of the offending Operation to the Forum FTP. They are in the ".../Mastercam_forum/All_pictures_Jpg,gif,bmp's..." folder and are called "offending..."

If someone has some space to post the images, feel free.

I'm going ot send this into QC just for good measure as well.

James, I can't get to the ftp for some reason so I'm limited. Do you have the post required for your file? If so I'd suggest posting the code and backplotting in CimcEdit to have a look for the taper condition you're talking about. I don't understand about the 'blown out' .004R because I can't see your images so I'm no help there.

C

Sent 03/15/07

Paul

I was talking about adding the skeleton code to older custom posts to utilize the stock advance tool paths for example. Also I wrote about the canned rough and finish turn cycles G71 and G70 the finish cycle has never worked correctly all the time, G70 should start at the same spot as the rough cycle but it doesn’t. This has been discussed in the forum a lot. The clearance on G70 will crash if you have a profile that has a larger diameter at the front of the tool path as well it tends to also hit the part on other times trying to get back for the next cut in rough. Also the tool libraries could use an update, I would think tool manufactures would offer these to CNC to help there sales rather than CNC having to create them. Here again I am not complaining just offering my thoughts

There reply

Don,

I’m sorry but we have no plans to go back and modify any of the older posts in this fashion. The changes coming with custom events make the old misc ops completely obsolete. It would not make sense for us to devote development time toward adding misc op support to the old posts when we really need to be focusing on developing new posts. And, I agree with you, Lathe can use some serious love from the developers. But again, Multi-tasking is the first priority. Once that is ready they will have time to go back and address other issues.

I would say backplot also.

Verify is very hard to determine exactly what is going on.

Stepping through backplot will usually show the problem.

Have faith my fellow lathe users,

I used to have to hand edit alot of stuff after posting my lathe programs but after using the software on a daily basis and a little post tweaking I found that alot of what I was having problems with was about 70% application and 30% post problems. MCX Lathe is definitely a different animal than mill.

I have been able to resolve almost everything I was having issues with and have not run into any big problems in quite awhile. Lathe is a little touchy in some areas but works very well if you learn the things it will not like.

I have good posts for the 5 different controls we have here and all my programs are now source correct which is something this place has never seen on the lathe side of things. I would love to see the Lathe package get an upgrade!!

According to my Boss here the only thing I should need for Lathe programming is a calculator!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Thanks Brett, that's been my gut feeling all along - to trust Backplot but I just wanted a few more voices (besides the usual suspects in my head biggrin.gif )

In CNC's Defense about Bug Numbers... they have changed the naming convention at least a few times since I can remember. I think now, each digit means something so that the bugs get routed to the right department (i.e. Milling Group, Verify Group, Post Processor Group, etc...). Just a guess, an uneducated one but still a guess.

quote:

There reply

Don,

I’m sorry but we have no plans to go back and modify any of the older posts in this fashion. The changes coming with custom events make the old misc ops completely obsolete. It would not make sense for us to devote development time toward adding misc op support to the old posts when we really need to be focusing on developing new posts. And, I agree with you, Lathe can use some serious love from the developers. But again, Multi-tasking is the first priority. Once that is ready they will have time to go back and address other issues.

This is not a post side fix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!