Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fadal's Format1 vs Format2

FLIPPER™

I have used both format 1 and format 2, I prefer format 2. We always refered to format 2 as fanuc mode because we were able to run the same program on the fadal as our machines with fanuc controls. There is a big differance in the way the tapping cycles are set-up.Also in format 1 it didn't allow us to use a Z fixture offset properly, if it was over 4 inches the machine would over travel, because it would read the fixture offset before the tool offset. There was a lot of other weird things that it did also.

Format 1 was the original (and only) format in the beginning, developed by Adrian deCaussin (the A in FADAL) Hence "1" biggrin.gif

Format 2 was added when Fadal went to the 1400 style system boards to add Fanuc compatability.

Format 2 does some of the following:

No move to home when starting or ending a program Format 1 ALWAYS goes home.

Fanuc style tapping cycles vs format 1- Q=lead, F=RPM.

G54 style offsets.

HTH

quote:

2. Machine does not move back to "Cold Start" position when it reads a M30 (what a PITA).

Brian make the botton of your code look like this :

G91G28Z0;

G0G90Y10.;

MOO;

M99P2;

Instead of an M30, it just jumps back to the top and starts over.

PEACE biggrin.gif

the only time i have used format 2 is for probing. for example.

when probing a tooling ball I set up the macro to start with the probe 1 " over the ball. format allowed the machine to start probing without taking off for machine zero at the beginning of the program.

"Me neither but then again I can not think of any advantage to running a Fadal either."

because if you can't make money with a fadal you can't work for me.

but anyone that can post over 10000 threads, probably on the clock isn't going to work for me anyway.

billy

quote:

because if you can't make money with a fadal you can't work for me.

but anyone that can post over 10000 threads, probably on the clock isn't going to work for me anyway.

That's OK because with an attitude like that you'd never get me to agree to work for you to begin with. I stopped working for egotistically over the top people yrs ago.

There's always trouble trying to fit 2 ego's the size of mine in the same building, nevermind the same shop.

wink.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

John said...

quote:

...I can not think of any advantage to running a Fadal either...

Billy fires back...

quote:

... because if you can't make money with a fadal you can't work for me.

but anyone that can post over 10000 threads, probably on the clock isn't going to work for me anyway...

John retorted...

quote:

...That's OK because with an attitude like that you'd never get me to agree to work for you to begin with. I stopped working for egotistically over the top people yrs ago...

36_1_19.gif

:smack:

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Personally FATAL, errrr FADAL is not my favorite either. IF I were in the market for that class of machine, HAAS would have to get the vote.

But back to the matter at hand, Format 2 or Fanuc Style is a better option, more in line with the majority of machine formats out there. Standards are a good thing often times. JM2C

speaking of fadal format 2 can any one tell me when the e offset is applied and does it need to be on a line with what else.

The reason I ask I was trying to use a g51.1 x0 to mirror a drill tool path but Z stopped way above part, take out g51.1 x0 and tool path is fine.I couldn't quite figure this out

in format 1 you know when E offset is applied soon as it reads that line away it goes.

also in format 1 you can input e offset and h offset and then jog to check Z depths before running and I would like to be able to do this but I'm missing somthing.

I have read manual any advice.

Phil/DRS

For anyone interested try this link:

http://www.compumachine.com/Support/Downlo...60__Formats.pdf

As far as Fadals are concerned I can see where John is coming from. We have four Makinos and a Fadal. The majority of my frustration in the shop comes when I am working on the Fadal, but having said that we still make plenty of good parts with the Fadal. The main thing that gets me is that when using the Fadal I end up wasting a lot of time trying to solve all the wierd problems that only seem to happen on that machine. I still have never met a CNC mill that I didn't like.

Justin

"I stopped working for egotistically over the top people yrs ago."

first let me say thanks for getting rid of the pic of hilary. it was very disturbing to look at.

I would love to be more active on the forum but time prevents me from being more than a daily reader, so i guess i'm a little jealous.

finaly, i don't it an ego trip. I think it is more out of desperation. at age 50 i realize that jobs are still readily available most of the time but i want need the control to determine when to retire. so i bought a used fadal.

i don't want to end up like a freind of mine who was a top manual machinist but got very ill at age 55. the company we were at let him go after 12 years and I heard it took a year before he could collect his disability.

finally I couldn't afford to hire you anyway but maybe soon.

peace john

billy

I