Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark

Roger Peterson

Well, I got the RAM only up to 840Mhz, I went for 850 and got "no boot"

RAM tends to be a "bit" more fickle about extra voltage, so I'm not going to try that route. Maybe I'll try loosing up the timings a bit and see if I can push it any further..

Not bad though a 41% OC on a 2.4Ghz chip on air.

firebounce.gif

Here's what I'm thinking so far. My boss is leery about ordering stuff online, so I'm going with Microcenter (at least for the most part) since they've got a location near here and have been good to me in the past.

CPU: Q9550 12MB L2 2.83 GHz 1333 MHz 45nm

Almost identical to the X3360, with the key difference that Microcenter carries it.

MB: Asus P6T Deluxe

Here's a review

Memory: 2 x [TwinX XMS3 4GB PC-12800 DDR3 Memory Kit (Two 2GB DDR3-1600 Memory Modules)] for a total of 8GB.

One thing I'm a bit concerned about though is the high voltage requirement on this memory of 1.8 volts. They have a similar product at 1.7 volts, but it's slower. What's the effect of higher memory voltage on the CPU? Do I just have to cool it better, or will it blow out?

I'm also thinking of either getting a high speed drive or putting a few drives in RAID for speed, to put my cache and stuff on. Maybe also something like this for air intake to keep the grime out.

Thoughts?

Better look harder Matt. You've speced an LGA775 CPU and a LGA1366 board, it won't fit.

Now here's what I'd get, all prices are from Newegg.com

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard. $116 after rebate. Good rating by owners at Newegg, this board is getting insanely high FSB speeds if you intend to overclock. Supports 16Gig of RAM if you could ever get that much in it.

G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB kit) DDR2 PC 8500 Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK $159 Just bought this myself, fast reliable and good price.

Xeon X3370 quad core 3.0Gb 12Mb 1333 FSB cache $579 or the C2D Q9650 equivalent. I have an X3550, maybe 400Mhz less OC but I saved $250 that way.

PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W $99 after rebate, 5 egg rating by purchasers and plenty of power for future upgrades.

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive $270 Fastest hard drive around but if you don't need much storage you could go for a solid state drive instead with the $550 you still have left.

Vista Ultimate x64 $169 Makes use of the 8Gb of RAM

I assume you already own keyboard monitor mouse & case. Or get one of those refridgerated cases where the CD tray opens to deliver you a cold one at the end of a day writing more code than anyone else in your office! cheers.gif

quote:

One thing I'm a bit concerned about though is the high voltage requirement on this memory of 1.8 volts. They have a similar product at 1.7 volts, but it's slower. What's the effect of higher memory voltage on the CPU?

Not that high, my DDR2 stock volts is 2.3. It's common practice to jack up volts on RAM or CPU when it wont go any faster. Sometimes it works but getting to it's best speed without giving it more volts than it needs causing excess heat is part of the juggling act of overclocking. So seeing faster RAM requireing a little more volts is normal.

The new Nehalem (LGA1366)CPUs and MB's are arriving. It will be quarter 2 09 before prices come down and parts easily available. Can't wait to hear about the first one running MCX.

quote:

Better look harder Matt. You've speced an LGA775 CPU and a LGA1366 board, it won't fit.

Doh! Good thing I bounced it off someone before ordering...

Bogusmill, those look like good choices. I'll have to see if I can talk my boss into letting me order stuff instead of picking it up locally, unless I can get Microcenter to order and pricematch.

I blew through three power supplies that our IT contractor supplied on my current system before getting an OCZ500SXS myself, which has been nice and stable. Do you think I need to bump up to 750W? I haven't heard of the manufacturer of that power supply before...

Looks like the memory voltage thing was an artifact of mixing sockets. The board I was looking at wanted DDR3, which has a lower voltage standard. Couldn't see the forest for all the trees.

Man, this gets more complicated every time. Last time I only had a hand full of CPU's to choose from and a couple dozen mobos. Now it's dozens of CPU's and literally hundreds of mobos. bonk.gif

A good thing: Newegg has a combo offer with that mobo you recommended and a OCZ700MXSP power supply for a total of $227.

PC Power & Cooling is one of the top brands as is Antec, OCZ, Thermaltake, Silverstone. I have the 700W OCZ your looking at but yesterday the one I listed seemed the best value. I searched those brands in 600-800W range. That one just happened have excellent customer ratings too.

OCZ makes some of the best RAM and now PSU's too. I have an older case, a 2 yr. old PSU, C2D dual core CPU from a build that died and RAM I just pulled to install my new 8Gig's of RAM so Just a MB and video card and I'll have another screamer using that same Gigabyte MB and left over parts.

Revised list:

1 Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive $269.99

2 G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop $159.98 ($79.99 each)

1 Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD for System Builders

$179.99

1 COOLER MASTER Hyper Z600 RR-600-LBU1-GP CPU Cooler $69.99

1 Intel Xeon X3370 Yorkfield 3.0GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Server Processor Model BX80569X3370

$579.99

1 GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

OCZ OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

$266.98

-$40.00 Combo $226.98

$20.00 Mail-in Rebate

$25.00 Mail-in Rebate

Subtotal: $1,486.92

Zip Code: 55432 Shipping: $25.21

Grand Total: $1,512.13

I just hope I don't blow something out while I'm building it...

One thing I learned a few months ago. When blowing dust off your video card with an air hose, don't let the fan spin too fast or you'll kill it. The fan motor can act as a generator and fry the card. On the other hand, than can be a good way to justify getting a new card. smile.gif

What would it do?

It will grab ALL of your memory for tool path creation.

I have NEVER run it above 80%, you system will likely not be stable nor run well since all other applications will be deprived of RAM and be left running off of the paging file. Which should likely slow ALL computer performance to a crawl.

You will have to excuse my ignorance in PC knowledge. eek.gif

OK, I have installed the CPU-Z on the M4400 and while reading the Read Me File there are a few settings that have me confused. bonk.gif Where do you set the settings for the configurations? cuckoo.gif There seems to be a few Blank or non-hi-lighted information boxes in each TAB. confused.gif

Can the settings be configured to show all the information boxes or are these items not on the PC to read?? frown.gif

BTW: how does one load a pic on this Forum?? biggrin.gif

CPU-Z is a utility that is used to "check" your settings. It has no ability to change or alter your system settings.

Seeing that you are running a Dell Laptop, I am fairly sure you are not going to have a whole lot of ability to adjust or change anything.

People who purchase higher end, which Dell doesn't use, motherboards are the ones that have access to the features they need to successfully overclock their systems. Off the shelf systems do not "generally" give users access to that much in the BIOS. I wouldn't recommend messing "too" much with the Dell as if something goes wrong, and occasionally things do, you'll void your warranty. OC'rs build their own systems and choose components based on the ability to used in such systems.

As far as loading a pic, many of use use www.photobucket.com as a hosting site, we can upload our screen shots there and then in the reply window on this forum, use the image button and take the link for photobucket and paste it into the window that image button will launch.

quote:

They suggested that with some of this software one could even OC a laptop.

This is NOT something I would recommend

COOLING can very quickly become an issue, for most laptops, an issue right out of the box. My system OC'd idles at 38° - 40°C. My laptop idles untouched at 54° - 56°C. You start picking up CPU cycles and voltages and you'll melt your chip right quick.

People who OC their chips maintain big ol' cooling fans. Laptops do not offer this ability, sure you can use a cooling mat but it is NOT the same.

Notice the large copper fan

11-8-08003.jpg

you can't get that in a laptop

[ 11-08-2008, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: JParis@CNC Programming Solutons® ]

JParis,

Thanks for setting me straight on this and the Bucket. I really don't want to mess with the M4400 because it is way too nice, expensive, and fast as it is. Beats a common Inspiron Notebook.

Man that is one NICE PC Build you've got there!!!!!!!

Looks like it needs an 8000 BTU AC Unit parked next to it.

Speaking for which, Does anyone make a Refrigerated PC Case?????? That might draw a lot of power, but overheating will never be an issue.

In the future I would like to Build a Custom PC. Maybe Design everything in Alibre then Machine the Box to accommodate the components. Maybe like a Wind Tunnel of sorts.

Thanks for the help guys.

Refrigerated?

Not that I am aware of.

Most people that want to get into "extreme" over clocking wind up moving to water cooled systems.

My cooling consists right now of 6 case fans

3 front intake fans

2 rear exhaust fans

1 top exhaust fan

1 CPU Fan

1 North bridge fan

1 internal case fan, blowing on the RAM

each video card has it's own fan as well.

There is ALOT of air moving around the inside of the case. Most of my wiring has been relocated external of the inside, my case has an area behind the motherboard, between the brace and outside case shell. So that helps to not obstruct air flow.