Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark

Roger Peterson

Is there any difference in the processing time between Vista and XP ??

I mean the same hardware with two different OS makes any difference in the proccessing time??

I´m looking for a new PC and they offer me the option XP or Vista

In both case will be 64 bit.

I bought this laptop today from Best Buy.

Asus X83Vm-X1

4GB PC2-5300 DDR2 memory

1066MHz frontside bus, 3MB L2 cache and 2.26GHz processor speed

14.1" WXGA widescreen LED display

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS

320 gig 5400 rpm hard drive

Vista Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system with Service Pack 1

My local Best Buy wanted $1050 for it, but one across town had a clearance price of $850.

I installed Kaspersky Internet Secutity Suite

X3 and X3MU1 and ran the benchmark file.

4 min 55 seconds

That's with no tweaking and all the bloatware running. Its gotta be the Vista x64 as my big $$$

Dell workstation can't run it that fast.

OK.. I just ran the benchmark on my Dell

workstation running XPx64..and I've come to a

couple of conclusions..

1. X3MU1 is significanly faster than X2..

The last time I ran the benchmark on my Dell

was August 07 running X2MR1 (???) and it came in

a little over 6 minutes..

I just ran it again in X3MU1 and it clocked out at 5:20...

2. 64 bit Vista is faster than 64bit XP

My laptop running Vista x64 is nearly 30 seconds faster than my big Dell even though the Dell

is a much stronger machine.

gcode - That's interesting, we are going to buy a new computer (dell refurbished) for MC tomorrow. I was looking at a 64 bit XP pro unit but should look at the vista instead. Here is what I'm looking at.

Question - will I need a new version of office to go with the 64 - Bit? Any other things I need to think about while switching to 64 - Bit? Thanks!

System Price : $2,649.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Operating System

Genuine Windows XP x64 Professional

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Memory

8 GB DDR2 ECC SDRAM 667MHz Dual Ranked (4 DIMMs)

Hard Disk Drive

160 GB SATA Hard Drive DataBurst(10K RPM)

160 GB SATA Hard Drive DataBurst(10K RPM)

Video

Dual 768MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX 4600, Quad Monitor DVI Capable

Certified Refurbished

Certified Refurbished

Base

Precision Workstation T5400 Mini-Tower: Quad Core Intel Xeon Processor E5420 (2.50GHz, 2X6M L2,1333)

quote:

will I need a new version of office to go with the 64 - Bit

No.. I bought my wife a little Dell studio

(Vista Home) for Christmas.. Her old machine was XP Home with a copy of Office 2007 installed.

The same Office discs installed on her new machine

and I was able to validate the license online

without making any phone calls..

I did get all kinds of alarms and macro security alerts untill I ran an Office update though.

My biggest complaint with XPx64 is a lack of drivers for a lot of printers and my favorite

Security Suite (Zone ALARM) will not run on xpX64..It is supported on Vista though.

I think I would choose Vistax64 over XPx64 all things being equal..XPx64 is Bill Gates

xxxx stepchild and it gets very little love

from the software developers.

The only CAD/CAM related software I know of that still as Vista issues is Vericut.. Vericut runs OK, but getting the licensing to work correctly is problematic..

That may have been solved by now.. I last spoke to someone at CGTech about Vista in Sept 08.

That looks like a real sweet machine.. Dell refurb is the only way to go. smile.gif

Thanks for the info gcode, we have been getting by with this computer for sometime. Can't wait to get the new one.

I would prefer to make the jump to Vista 64 bit, but there aren't a whole lot of 64 bit refurbished workstations out there that have the right config. We will have to see what is out there tomorrow when we are ready to place the order.

quote:

Security Suite (Zone ALARM) will not run on xpX64..It is supported on Vista though.

If it runs in Vista x64 now that is NEW I dropped them this past summer when my subscription ran out and they were not supporting nor at that time planning on supporting Vista x64. Has that changes gcode?

Ployd,

"IF" you are certain you want to go with a x64 bit system, IMO, don't bother with XP Pro x64, gcode is right is was never really brought up to snuff and lots of things just support it. When it was the ONLY option you could get by with it certainly but Vista x63 really DOES run well on a good system and I have had ZERO compatibility issues running newer software.

I DID try to get V9 running over the past few days, not that I need it, just to see if I could and it was a big ol' "no go" But that is a Mastercam issue and not a Vista issue.

quote:

they were not supporting nor at that time planning on supporting Vista x64. Has that changes gcode?

I thought they supported all versions of Vista..??

I'm using all 3 of my ZA licenses so I put Kaspersky on my new laptop. I've got ZA on my wife's Studio, I thought that was an x64 OS???

I'll have to look into that..

That's one of Vista's big problems... there are just too many flavors..if techno-geeks like us get confused, how is JQ Public suppossed to have a clue???

I can't believe ZA won't support Vista Home Premium x64..That's what 80% of the notebooks I looked at were running.. ZA is loosing a big chunk of market share if they don't support Vista x64

[ 12-29-2008, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: gcode ]

I just found this on the Zonealarm User Forum

posted 12-11-2008

quote:

ZoneAlarm has release the Extreme security beta which is now Vista 64 bit compatible.

This is our first beta release that supports both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems in one installer. To celebrate this milestone, the ZoneAlarm team is offering a free ZoneAlarm Extreme Security license to all users who return beta feedback to us by Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008.

This Beta will install on Windows XP (32-bit, SP2/SP3) and Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit, SP1 recommended)

so not yet even it appears but it is coming

Gcode, I have had the same results regarding Vista64 vs XP64. I have both systems on the same laptop set up as dual-boot, and the Vista install runs the benchmark in 3m40 sec, while the XP64 runs it in 4m30s. Both running out of the same SSD hard disc on the same computer... I thought something was wrong with the XP64 side, so I was going to re-install XP and X3 to see if it got better. I may still do that just to be certain, but it appears that Vista is faster than XP on the same machine right now. Only issue I have with Vista is that X3 won't read parasolid file from Solidworks on the Vista side. Same software on the XP side works fine, so right now, I have to open .sldprt files in X3 on the XP side, then save as mcx, then reboot into Vista if I want the extra speed. I am sending a file to tech support to see if they know what is wrong..

Are you running X3 or X3MU1??

I'll try and open a *.sldprt file

on my laptop when I get home this evening.

Meanwhile, have you tried exporting an X_B

file from SolidWorks and importing that into

Mastercam??

You get exactly the same results AND you can

control the solid's landing into Mastercam

with a SW co-ordinate system

JP - I would prefer to get a new computer with the latest Vista OS, but using dell refurbished you have to take the best package. Right now the best 64 bit computer they have available is the XP64. And we need to order the computer before the end of the year. So we will see what is available. The Vista64 computers available have lesser video cards and processors. We can always upgrade to Vista64 later.

quote:

have lesser video cards

IMO, don't let a "good" GeForce card scare you away.

If you read my "Quadro in Vista" thread in OT, you'll see it does not score as well in the Vista scoring.

The OpenGL support is a bit cleaner now but it still sits on top of the "Windows Desktop Manager". I have found from my own usage that the "good" GeForce cards are working cleanly in Vista.

Dell T7400

2 Xeon X5472, 3GHz, 1600MHz fsb

16Gb 800MHZ ram

160GB Raptor HD

Windows XP Pro-64

Quadro FX3700

X2 - 5:13

X3 - 4:17

Unfortunatly with the introduction of X3 we have moved away from a hardware benchmark score and now have software versions as part of the equation. I think we either need to start a new thread with X3 as the benchmark software or stick to only posting X2 times here. A new thread with a new benchmark file to run in X3 would be my preference.

Jaz..

That is an interesting score.

I ran the benchmark on my work machine this morning.

Its very close to the same hardware as yours.

1 Xeon 3 gig proccessor

4 gig ram

one 1 160 raptor hard drive

The OS is XP x32..

My time was 3 seconds slower than yours

at 4:20...

To me this proves that XP-x64 is not worth the aggravation as far as it pertains to Mastercam performance.

My dual proccessor 2.66 Xeon at home ran 5:20

on WinXPx64.. I think it needs a tuneup rolleyes.gif

quote:

To me this proves that XP-x64 is not worth the aggravation as far as it pertains to Mastercam performance.

I have seen some signifigant gains in generating larger 5-axis toolpaths, mainly because of the available memory I think. Otherwise, I agree, XP64 is worthless for MC.

quote:

Only issue I have with Vista is that X3 won't read parasolid file from Solidworks on the Vista side.

OK I tried an SLDPRT file from SW2009SP2EV and

got a "Can't find parasolid data " error on my

Vistax64 laptop.. The same file opens fine on

my WinXPx64 machine.

Then I saved it out of SolidWOrks as an X_B file

and it opens correcly on both systems.

I;ll send this in as a bug report.

• 2 weeks later...