Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Newbie ? Method Rough Solid

GBeaman

Hi, again. I am using EdgeCAM at home and MasterCAM at work, My brain is fried from trying to learn to use 2 different softwares at once. In Edge I can select the solid define the stock and then select Roughing Cycle and it produces a rough part with offsets on the material. Is there something similar to this in MasterCam? I know this is a dumb question too, but can you surface directly off of the imported model without having "Create Surface From Solid"? It appears to me that one of the really powerful tools of mastercam is the Surface Rough Pocket, and I was thinking that this might be manipulated to do what I wanted to do. I am sure all of you have a common routine for this, so I figured I would just post a dumb question, instead of trial and error. Thanks so much.

-Greg

You DO NOT NEED the solid option to machine directly on a solid. When you get to drive surface selection, you should be able to just click the solid without actually activating the solid selection if you have one of the newer versions of MC.

It sounds like you are saying that edgecam is considering the size of the stock to define where the toolpaths need to go. Mastercam does not work this way but you are on the right track. Use the surf rough pocket and make sure you create a containment boundary of your rough stock shape so MC knows where to cut.

The only reason to define stock in MC is for verification purposes. (at least in the mill packages)...

Thnks for the advice fellas. I will try the surface rough pocket on this upcoming part. I did a search for EdgeCAM on this forum, and wow there is a lot of posts regarding it in comparison to MC. EdgeCAM has a try before you buy, offer. I went and visited the reseller in Houston, and they gave me an "overview" of the software and a post, then the opened a "dongle" for 90 days.... WOW!!! I have been using it instead of writing a program in MC and then only taking home the posted code. I spent countless hours pulling out my hair and recoding things that wouldn't work. Edge at home has been a huge improvement over that situation. In a few weeks my trial will be over. It will be decision time, between buying MC or Edge. Both are about $3k for entry 2.5d. I guess I need to read all the posts here on the subject, as $3K is a lot of money in my world. My old bostomatic is a terrible pain to get the post straightened out and working for. It sure is nice to have EdgeCAM, post, send, and hit the green button! I know everyone, including me, and especially salesmen are biased, but I want to make a good long term decision. I sure like my Edge Reseller, he has been more then good to me, and what about Matt Mattera, he seems to have crossed party lines. Any input on the situation is much appreciated.

-Greg

quote:

The only way to fly!

This is true!!! But you really appreciate it when you have done more hand coding then you care to admit. I have read on Edgecam archives here and most of what everyone says is the drawback is service. The Irony of this is that I can't get my reseller to fix my post for our machines at work. The edge guys have been superb. And those C++ type post files, send my head spinning. I really don't know what I am doing when I look at them. Maybe this forum is great, but if there were at least one good reason not to purchase MCam, I would say "questionable service". I think our local guys are just spread too thin to have any time to help me out.

quote:

I would say "questionable service". I think our local guys are just spread too thin to have any time to help me out.

If you dont have the software how could you question the service??.

That makes no sense at all. Like they said you got a bigger/more

knowleable user forum here than you'd find any where.

I dare you to try and find one. Go ahead try. tongue.gif I dare ya biggrin.gif

PEACE biggrin.gif

quote:

ahemmmm, read the post [Razz]

:SMACK:

So if he has it at work why does he need to worry about

which software to purchase ??

:EYE GOUGE:

So re-read ya hill-billy wink.gif :

quote:

Maybe this forum is great, but if there were at least one good reason not to purchase MCam,

PEACE biggrin.gif

We just got X2 here at my job a few weeks ago. I have been stumbling through it and these difficult parts. I needed a 4 axis post for the machine to make these parts and Mcam reseller gave me one, but it opened a whole new can of worms. I sent it to him for some mods, and it took near 2 weeks to get it back, and it still wouldn't run a part. I called someone different and he still has my post, still not able to make good parts with the 4th axis post. The hurco I run is only a year old, you might think that it wouldn't be too difficult to get a working post for it. If it is this much trouble for our new hurco, it doesn't bode well for my 22year old Bostomatic. I want a real licensed software. I can't conscientiously carry home my SIM key and use it at home. Thanks for all of your help it is reassuring to find a resource such as this. I think it may be a deciding factor in the decision.

-Greg

Guest John Paris @ Services 4 Automati

quote:

Thanks for all of your help it is reassuring to find a resource such as this. I think it may be a deciding factor in the decision.

Just think ALL of this and we throw Hardmill in for free.

smile.gif

Guest John Paris @ Services 4 Automati

quote:

John as an employee for S4A shouldnt you be encouraging potential customers.

I thought I was

headscratch.gif

Why are you the deal breaker?

Who knew?

wink.gif

Talkin 'bout buying it.

quote:

Maybe this forum is great, but if there were at least one good reason not to purchase MCam, I would say "questionable service".

"POOF", now they got. headscratch.gif

quote:

We just got X2 here at my job a few weeks ago.

quote:

ahemmmm, read the post [Razz]

:SMACK:

Kicked by the redneck frown.giffrown.gif

PEACE biggrin.gif

Post problems:

-Incrimental drill cycles (Hurco's crumby G-code)

and their correct format.

-Also Clearance plane between drilled holes.

-G2 and G3 are reversed. (Only scrapped one 30 hour part to find this out)

-Rigid Tap with peck non existant

a few other minor things but these 4 and I could at least make a part with out hand editing the code.

quote:

"POOF", now they got. [Head Scratch]

I am confused Hardmill...

headscratch.gif

We purchased X2 a few weeks ago, upgrading from version 8.1. I wasn't allowed to use 8.1 very much so X2 is a big leap for me, not to mention more difficult parts then I have ever attempted before.

No magic fairies or "elves" delivered the software. It came in the mail.