Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Internet Exploror 7?

Die Sinker

Hi all,

I've done a search for those items related to IE7. I have put off loading IE7 into my machine because of concerns I had about problems with this version. Microsoft has been sending this update for the last couple of days and I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion about this version. How does it work with MC9? Any help is appreciated. confused.gif

I have done the IE7 update & have no problems and I don't think its possible to remove IE, its gonna be on your system wether you use it or not.

If I remember corectly, Firefox will establish itself as the default browser durring install. If for some reason you want to use IE just open it up.

Firefox all the way

You can remove access to it for everything EXCEPT one function, Windows Update. Explorer can not be removed from a system as it is tied into the OS, all of your windows are "technically" IE windows they are just called Explorer but you can navigate with any window.

To remove access

Start Button >> Set Programs Access and Defaults >> click the down arrows on Custom >> Choose default Browser click on Firefox >> click on enable access to this program and UNCLICK the one across from Internet Explorer

This will remove all access to IE except by clicking on the "Update Windows" icon

The same process works for Outlook if you install and run Thunderbird and don't want to see the Outlook icons

I have used IE7 since it first was released and have never experienced a problem at all headscratch.gif

One of the guys at our clubhouse has Firefox installed on the station beside me and I have observed both, side by side for a while now.

I have noticed that Firefox is much more labour intensive when it comes to even the simplest of things, like upgrading installed software, checking mail, downloading files, stuff like that. Seems there is a little more to do for him, I don't know why cause I have never used FF, I have just noticed the elapsed time involved in some things and the number of steps required to do certain things.

I can see where Firefox woulda been better at a certain point on the slower computers, because IE7, is a resource hog, kinda like Mastercam X, but with the faster computers, it too, becomes moot.

IE7 is also much pudrier than Firefox.... biggrin.gif

Oh ya and it works great with MC9 too wink.gif

quote:

like upgrading installed software, checking mail, downloading files, stuff like that. Seems there is a little more to do for him, I don't know why cause I have never used FF

Simply Murlin because he doesn't know WTF he is doing.

Updates can happen automatically, you don't even know until it comes up and alerts you that FF needs to restart to complete the install, then restart in the exact place you were in, even with multiple tabs open. Downloading files, is a simple click, the box will close itself and not remember the list if you set it. Simply put once you install and set about 3 switched there is NOTHING else to do.

As far as using it. Murlin it's OBVIOUS you limit what and where you go on the Internet. Most people and users who just click on what ever is in front of them are doing themselves a disservice by continuing to use IE, it's that simple.

If security is a concern then you should be using Firefox, if you think you can stay ahead of all the scammers who constantly are looking for ways to separate your information from you, then IE can be used without concern.

The Microsoft products have again and again been proven to be the least secure of anything out there.

quote:

if you think you can stay ahead of all the scammers who constantly are looking for ways to separate your information from you, then IE can be used without concern.

I don't do any online banking, use my real name, or keep anything of personal nature on on my puter....so doesn't matter who looks or not wink.gif

quote:

Murlin it's OBVIOUS you limit what and where you go on the Internet.

headscratch.gif ummm not really...

I go to just as many "iffy" sites as anyone else...

Just have my blascklist hostfile for cookies and use a hardware router, and run in user account most of the time with anti virus for the trojan alert...

Have a Ghost of my sys partition on a fresh install just in case I get nuked...

I clean trojans all the time wink.gif