Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cutter Comp Applied on Arc Move

I hate this error. It annoys me. It also annoys me because I cannot seem to formulate a reason why sometimes I have absolutly no issue using it and other times every instance that has wear gives me this error.

In this instance, I am doing a simple 2d contour. Using a 5/8 endmill to circle mill a bore. Easy enough? Apparently not. The contour starts and ends @ the 12 oclock position and then leads in or out. All looks normal on verify. Going with ccw arcs to climb mill and I get this aggravating error.

Lead in/out settings are set as such;

Line = 0%/Tangent

Arc = 100%

Enter & Exit at midpoint in closed contours is checked

Gouge check entry/exit motion is checked

All others are unchecked.

Could someone pleaes explain this to me so I dont have deal with it again? Grr... banghead.gif

Thanks

Randy, you need a perpendicular entry then you can arc in/out. without it, the post will try to put G41 or G42 in a G2/G3 line, which is illegal.

Instead of.....

quote:

Line = 0%/Tangent

Arc = 100%

try...

Line = 100%/perpendicular*************

Arc = 100%

HTH

Thad,

I gave the perp entry vs the tangent entry a try, and maybe, since my lead is not very big, I cannot really see any difference. I posted both ways out and the has obvious differences, but the cimco backplot looks pretty much the same for either way. What kind of problematic errors could one run into by continuing to use tangent?

Smit,

I have used that in the past and still likely will on occasion for things but the problem I run into is that the operators say 'I dont understand what its doing'. It starts on XY Zero, then move to (for example) X.625, Y.9475, arcs in, circle bores, arcs out to X-.625, Y.9475 and then moves to XY Zero again. To me it makes perfect sense, but even the people who 'claim' to have years of experience complain that they do not understand why it needs to make so many moves and how the moves are accomplished. As such I try and avoid the XY Zero confusion if possible, but I would personally rather use it on small bores.

Related Question: Lead in/out Overlap. I see the obvious benefits to this, read the help file about it, but I dont understand what units the overlap is in. Is it percentage of the diameter? The cutter? Often, if I wanted to ride the cutter all the way around a second time I would have to put in like 300 or 400....but I have no idea what this means and am just going off the backplot 'looks'.

Thanks!

The reason for all of this is pretty simple. When a control has to calculate cutter comp, it must be able to position itself tangent to the current and next moves to be able to stay comped for the profile. When you turn on comp on in an arc move, where on the arc must it become tangent to the next move?

I have always been taught to turn comp on perp to the next move, and turn comp off perp to the previous move. that way, it will ALWAYS do what you expect, and NEVER gouge.

Example:

G41CC.jpg

Ron, I haven't seen that(not saying you're wrong , I just haven't seen it). We have two 0i controls, and I have never had a problem with the direct move approach as long as the approach move is >.0002 larger than the largest amt that will be in the wear offset table. This works on our 15, 16i, 18i, and 0i's. Even works on our Siemens 840D and cough:Fadal:cough

I will be looking out for it tho. Thanks. cheers.gif

Well it is the weirdest thing I have ever seen. Our Mazaks, Okumas, and older Fanuc does it with no problem but these 2 machines, by different builders with the Oi control do it. Not that big a deal only 2 extra lines of code for ever comp move.

cuckoo.gifcuckoo.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif Is what I did for about 2 days on some parts till I figured it out. The code looked Flawless, but I finally sat there and watched it run this 3 hour program and when it started moving the Y axis along a long cut to start applying the Wear comp they were using is when I caught it. We were only talking about .0034, but it was throwing the parts out of print and we could just not figure out why until I added a X move to the Straight in Y move then it was fine.

quote:

What kind of problematic errors could one run into by continuing to use tangent?

Probably an occasional gouge, or comp error at the control (cutter radius too big blah blah blah). Yes, it *can* be done and you may go a long time without errors, but the best (least problematic) way to do it is to use a perp move. I doubt you'd find a text book, reference manual or online source that *doesn't* recommend using a perp move to turn comp on and off. Lastly, I'll bet there are some controls that can't use an arc move to turn comp on and some that can't use a tangent move to turn comp on...but they'll ALL be able to use a perp move to turn comp on. It's just "the right way." smile.gif

Thad

Randy@SFI,

A sure way to get those bores without having to mess with Lead In/Out and comp errors is to use the Circle Mill toolpath instead of a Contour. The Circle Mill has parameters for things such as "Start at Center" and "Perpendicular Entry". Usually I set the "Start at Center" by default and ignore the "Perpendicular Entry". The other thing you can do with Circle Mill is if you pick the arc itself you don't have to input the size of the circle to mill. Or you can simply pick a point and that gives you the option to type in the hole size you want. HTH cheers.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...It's just "the right way"...

Indeed... 100%, ALL THE TIME EVERY TIME.

Why SETTLE for might, possible, etc... when you can have 100% guaranteed every time?

This may work as a quick fix:

Machine type, control definition, cutter compensation, SELECT: Start and end cutter compensation above part. This may also limit your options for start point positioning. This was an option in the MPMASTER.control and may not apply to your control definition.

WE have a few Fadals, I run the Haase's and Makinos and whenever I need to run a program that was posted for the Fadals, there's a high probability that it comps on the arc. GRRR. I then add comp (manually) to the first move out of the gate, and cancel comp after the last Z move. I consider this a less than polished technique but it makes chips none the less.

When all else fails, I manually program a cutter path that produces a parachute, or ice cream cone shaped cutterpath using a 45.deg straightline move prior to ramping on the circle. I exit the cut using the same technique.