Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

bad surface finish

LansB

Hey guys. I am struggling to get a descent surface finish with a ball e.m.

The surface is one complete surface with nothing complex about it (kind of a sweeping twist shape). For a long time I have noticed that no matter what toolpath I use or whatever I adjust my tolerance and filter ratio to, there are always bumps on the surface. They show up in verify and on the actual part.

We also use a seat of Work NC out on the shop floor and it never has this problem. Is there something I am missing in the settings? It seems like a good, smooth surface should always yield the same outcome on the physical part.

Thanx in advance for any input guys!

Lans on a part like this I would use the blend toolpath. Doing this as 2 different surface is the wrong approach IMHO when trying to do a part of this nature. You have the right idea braking the surface out like that. I will throw a toolpath on it and put it back on the FTP and see what you think.

HTH

I took a look at your file and I see a few things I would change. For one, I would change your tolerance on the toolpaths to .0001 for the parallel toolpath and use a 1:1 filter. Mastercam makes a terrible quality toolpath unless the tolerance is really small. It is even worse if you use HST raster. I have submitted this problem to my dealer and they are trying to figure out why. Even using this small tolerance, you won't get the same quality toolpath as WorkNC or Powermill. I can never understand why this has always been an issue with Mastercam on such a simple toolpath.

Tha's pretty much where I was going with this Prosin. I love Mastercam way better than the others but I have to adjust the tolerance way back and make huge programs that have to be drip fed to my machines. Even then the surface is not quite as good as the others (and not enough better than the higher tolerance to justify the length in program). I just thought there was a slight possibility that I was missing some simple secret that smoothed things out a little better.

I'm sure there is a way around this by using certain toolpaths a certain way and what not...just curious if I didn't really have to do that.

I defintely would like to hear people suggestions and tips though!

Thanx again,

[ 01-03-2008, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: LansB ]

Lans,

I avoid using Raster or parallel for a variety of reasons. I would program your part a little differently. I would most likely finish it with HST waterline from 30 to 90 degrees and then use shallow or HST scallop to finish from 0 to 35 degrees of slope. Always climb milling. File size is not an issue for us as our Makino's run off internal hard drives with huge capacity. We use .0001 or .0002 for all of our finishing toolpaths in order to achieve the surface finish and accuracy that our parts require. Processing time is a beotch.

Lans,

Here is a link to what I was able to do. I extended the surfaces out the front face even distance I used .250. This allows the cutter to finish the surfaces more on an even flow without the extention I was getting the rough cut you showed first. Anyway the blend worked the best of all toolpahs I tried. Take a look. http://www.cad2cam.net/blend1/blend1.html

Steve Arteman