Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Deep hole drilling with 2 drills

Programinator

Ok, I have to drill a deep hole and i want to use a short drill first and then go in and get the rest with the long drill. but i dont want to cut air with the long drill where the short drill already cut. Also when the long drill is running i need it to peck and retract out of the hole.

Will mcam put out code for this and if not what would the gcode look like?

Thanks

I do that same as Alex. Manual entry with exactly the code I want. eg, enter and exit hole in S50 M4 at slow feedrate, rapid to start depth, M3 to correct speed and feed to depth, rinse and repeat.

I did look at doing a custom cycle once, but never got around to it.

Bruce

quote:

First drill with the short hole say Z-1.25", then change to the long drill and use a R-1.23 in the G83 line. The tool will rapid down to Z-1.23, but the drill will not come out of the hole till the G80.

Thats the problem.....I need it to come out of the hole after every peck.

I know how to put it in manually but i just thought there would be a better way.

Thanks all

on our Haas

instead of Q

I= first peck

J= amount to reduce peck

K= min. peck

so 8" deep hole

1st drill 3" deep

2nd drill first peck 2.7", reduce by 2.5" .1" min peck

G53 Y-4.

( 11/32 DRILL 3" DEEP TOOL - 7 DIA. OFF. - 7 LEN. - 7 DIA. - .34375 )

T7 M6

G0 G90 G55 X-1.7 Y.875 S1500 M3

G43 H7 Z.1

M8

G98 G83 Z-3. R.1 Q.15 F6.

X-.625 Y1.5

X.625

X1.7 Y.875

Y-.875

X.625 Y-1.5

X-.625

X-1.7 Y-.875

G80

M5

G90 G54 G49 Z0. M9

G53 Y-4.

M01

( 11/32 AIRCRAFT DRILL TOOL - 4 DIA. OFF. - 4 LEN. - 4 DIA. - .34375 )

T4 M6

G0 G90 G55 X-1.7 Y.875 S800 M3

G43 H4 Z.1

M8

G98 G83 Z-8.94 R.1 I2.7 J2.5 K.1 F4.

X-.625 Y1.5

X.625

X1.7 Y.875

Y-.875

X.625 Y-1.5

X-.625

X-1.7 Y-.875

G80

M5

G90 G54 G49 Z0. M9

G53 Y-4.

M30

steve at S4A put it in my post so you could talk to your reseller.

I dont drill alot of copper these days, but I am using OSG long series solid carbide drills on my Integrex. The drills are 30x diameter (or 20x are available too). I pilot drill 1/4" deep with a standard length OSG solid carbide drill, then bring the 20x or 30x drill in and just plow it thru.

It works incredibly well in steel and seems quite quick. I do alot of deep 1/4" holes and 3/8" holes.

=] HTH

My experience with deep drilling copper is that the drill is going to walk off center. We ended up using gun drills and very gentle feed (.0005) and lots and lots of pecks. Copper does not like to be drilled and has a tendency to shrink as you drill it causing more tooling problems as it "grabs" the drill the deeper you go.

JM2C

Good luck. cheers.gif

quote:

I dont drill alot of copper these days, but I am using OSG long series solid carbide drills on my Integrex. The drills are 30x diameter (or 20x are available too). I pilot drill 1/4" deep with a standard length OSG solid carbide drill, then bring the 20x or 30x drill in and just plow it thru.

It works incredibly well in steel and seems quite quick. I do alot of deep 1/4" holes and 3/8" holes.

=] HTH

Steel is another story. Copper is very gummy and heats up the drill super quick.

Breaking the chip is a problem so im forced to use small pecks and come up all the way out of the hole and back in again.

What type of steel are you cutting?

Doesn't the standard peck drill cycle work? By setting the retract, top of stock and depth values in absolute you can accurately control where the drill is pecking. If you have different depth of holes, incremental values also work great if you leave the retract at absolute somewhere above the top of stock, depending on how your drill points are defined. Works like a charm on our HAAS here! Maybe I'm not understanding your problem, though!

Bruce

The problem is if you drill 2 inches deep with one drill then come back with a longer drill and drill 6 inches deep the second drill will have to drill 2 inches of hole that has already been drilled in order to get a retract out of the hole.

Shawn

I had to drill a .250 hole 7.85 deep so I wrote a macro for a custom peck cycle and assigned G183 to it. I then drilled 2.5 deep with a thru coolant drill and then used the long drill to go the rest of the way with the custom cycle. It works exactly like a G83 except R is the retract point, W is the feed point ( new R for this tool ) and E is the feed rate from R down to into the hole. I always set up my macros to cover for missing parameters so if you leave out the E it will default to 100. IPM, and if you leave out the W it will act like G83. It could also be set up to rapid if no W is passed.

I assume this will also work on a HAAS. We have 3 of them here but I am kept busy with the Makino A51 cell so I do not deal with them myself.

Walt

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...for copper sometimes i'll grind one lip a little more, its keeps the drill from getting squeezed by the expansion of the copper,the hole might be a little big but...

This works for nickel also.