Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2D pocketing with multiple chains

Thad

I'm looking for an efficient way to cut the pocket in this plate. The green profile is burned out. This overall part size is 18 X 15 and the pocket is 1" deep, so the burnout is worth avoiding. Normally, I create a chain just inside the burnout that I can chain along with the pocket walls to contain the toolpath. If the 2 chains are too drastically different, I end up creating some extra geometry to get everything cut.

Using contour with multipass cuts alot of air since there isn't an even amount of stock all around. Pockets with 2 chains always seem to waste moves by recutting areas that have already been cut. The next best thing I've found is a Morph Spiral pocket. I can never get the tool to step over as much as I'd like. It seems that you're at the mercy of how much the 2 chains differ as to what kind of step over you'll get. Trimming the toolpath causes the tool to plunge down into stock when re-entering.

So, I'm looking for advice on how you handle this type of situation. What would you do?.

2chainpkt.jpg

Thad

I had a simular situation recently. I ghosted a pocket operation to simulate the burnout. Then I used surface/high-speed/rest-roughing to machine the remaining stock.

Using Mill level 1, I think I would stick with the contour with multipass or other methods, but use high-feed to speed up the air-cutting.

I'd offset a green chain by a tool diameter plus a safety distance and select 2 chains for one of the pocketing options (probably morph spiral).

You can get aggressive with cutting if you choose to move in steps on z (say every .25).

Or use a feedmill to do the contour and then rest mill with smaller diameter tool.

quote:

Get outta here Del

no seriously because i do mess around with the 3 axis proto traks.if you offset countour the inside to stay away from it, i am asking if you could use the area option and then choose the type of path you wanted.isnt that the same thing.im just wanting to learn you dumbmill biggrin.giftongue.gifbiggrin.gif