Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4th axis tard needs help

Gary

I have a part on a haas rotary, x axis centerline.

I am doing some surface paths on it and everthing looks good in backplot/verify but my pos x neg x flips when I rotate part 180 in backplot. Its like I spun 180 in my chair to other side of part not just rotated on x. I am using toolplanes for the paths but have messed with every plane combo (I think) to keep the x from flipping. What do I have wrong.

Gary

I would do WCS > Normal > Then Select Line Parallel to your view > Rotate to make sure it's the toolplane is right.

Make sure that in your toolpath manager you're WCS is set to your original and your Tool/Construction planes are set to whatever plane you want to cut.

Just make sure you keep the same WCS for every Toolpath.

Not sure which version you're on could you please state it so that everyone could chime in.

I came across this exact problem a little while ago... solution is to rotate axes on back and bottom planes to reflect the actual orientation of the axes on the machine when you rotate. Save the new coordinates as "rotate back" or something like that. If you are going to be doing this type of work a lot, open a new MCX, or create a cube with 45' chamfers on corners that rotate about x, create new planes, then simply import them into your MCX file that you are going to be working with. I have a sample rotate WCS file if you would like I can e mail it to you while FTP is down...

I stand corrected... FTP is back up. Thanks CADCAM ! I have tried to modify the "standard" WCS, but it is pretty much impossible, even after talking to mastercam, there is no way to do it. Thanks a lot, CNC Software !! wink.gif I put that rotary WCS on FTP in mcx files/rotaryWCS. How to import - click on WCS button on bottom right of screen in MCX, / view manager/right click in the views box/ import/select the file and you're golden. I would prefer this method rather than modifying or creating a new one every time you are working a 4th axis, because you already have used it, and it's proven. EXCEPTION _ if you are using a funny angle (12.223) then it would be easier to use c/t/plane by entity

*edit* Grammar / Lingo corrections

Yeah, sorry so long getting back to you all. Been running around like an idiot all day then little league tonight. I started running programs and pasteing together to get running and thats when I figured out what was meant by planes rotate up above. I am going to take another stab at this over the weekend when I have no crying supervision going on. I will also download your file head and check that out. I like the enity idea to for flip flopping. Done lots of angled head stuff /goofy rotates before but this flip flopping back and forth and trying to keep a stock model intact has been kicking my a$$. And just when you think your getting good. Multi-axis comes along.

You guys are making this waaay too hard.

For a VMC with a rotary table

the WCS = Top (always alway always)

to cut at A=0

WCS =Top

TP = Top

CP =Top

This is set in the Planes page

of Toolpath parameters

to cut at A = 180 we have to make a toolplane

make sure T/C Planes is set to Top

click on Planes (bottom of screen)

choose "Rotate Planes"

A red, green and blue triad and a "Rotate View" box pop up

Enter 180 in "About X" and hit Enter

The Z axis will roll abount X and point straight down.

Hit the Green Check

Change the Name to 180 degrees and hit the green check.

Go into the View Manager and make sure Origin

is 0,0,0

Now to make a cut at A =180

WCS = Top (always always always)

T plane = 180 degees ( the one you just made)

C Plane = 180 degrees..

Done deal. smile.gif

Do it the same way for any angle you need.

Set T/C Planes to Top

Rotate "About X" the correct amount

and use the results in T plane and C plane

You are now a rotary expert biggrin.gif

• 5 months later...