Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

ESPRIT VS MASTERCAM

dprovost71

I just want some feedback on this. At another one of our facilities the programmer feels that they are spending too much time in engineering with programming complex 5 axis surfaces in molds using mastercam.

His solution would be ESPRIT, saying its faster.

I'm not familiar with ESPRIT, I've been using Mastercam for years and have used Procam, a little Catia V4, and Visi. Mastercam works great for all our 4 & 5 axis needs here and we do some complex parts with surfacing. Thanks for your input.

Our wire room has a seat of Esprit Wire. IMO it's terrible! The support is non-existant and the drawing functions are very general. They got it b/c they had Esprit '98 at the old plant and found out that it's nothing like 2008. I get a good chuckle out of it from time to time.

quote:

Hardmill used to use Esprit, but he's gone though

an intervention and 12 step program.

He's much better now

Yeah im mu(*FDWHBWJF:L< F

KEWNFJOWBFJNQKLWLF NKQWMKLGVNKELMLMELKMG

PLRMWLKHM KRPWHNIMNch better now headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

Did I just black out again ?? frown.giffrown.gif

PEACE : D

I am a current Esprit user. IMO MasterCax X2 was a lot better at 5 axis and any solid milling for that matter.

One of the things I like to point out about working with 3 ax solids is that mastercam class was one day for generating code from a solid Esprit class is 5 days. Three different times in that class I was able to stump the teacher on things I wanted to do with solids that I used to do in MC. I was not trying to play stump the teacher it just worked out that way. Of course just like Mastercam there is always a work around. Just a lot more of them in Esprit

I have used ProE manufacturing, Esprit and MC. I have not used MC in almost 2 year. Give me a complicated 5 axis part with a solid model and told it needed done fast I think I could still do it faster in MC then Esprit.

We have one seat of Esprit 3 axis here and 5 seats of MCX. Our Esprit dealer here in town is awesome as far as support goes, but Our MCX dealer is as well. There are some things that are easier in Esprit and some things that are easier in MCX. We were trying to be a one software shop with MCX but we are tired of the shortcomings of lathe. On top of that we just bought 3 multi-turret/multi-spindle lathes. I was given the task of looking to find a CAM package that can do all. We don't want to have to do/pay maintenance on multiple packages. Our 5 axis is limited, but if I had to choose between Esprit or MCX for our needs I would choose Esprit because 70% of our work is mill-turn style work.

In the end we choose NX CAM express. So far our support is awesome and the post we have are producing good code, but we only have about 4 of our 20 machines set up.

Thanks for the input. Seems the consensus is Esprit is great for the multi-turn/mill lathes.

We have Partmaker for our screw machines. We use mastercam for our basic turn/mill lathes and its ok for that. And overall Mastercam is a good sound overall 4-5 axis mill package although I think they will be a contender with the multi-turret/multi-spindle lathes in the near future.

quote:

I think they will be a contender with the multi-turret/multi-spindle lathes in the near future.

[sarcasm]What do you mean....Mastercam have been doing MATSS since V9....I have PROOF...check out the Icon.... MATSS.bmp[/sarcasm]

My personal bet is 2 years from now we will be using it. Prove me wrong CNC Software.