Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

preview

mikhael gutman

It will show a bitmap snapshot of the geometry. I'm using win2k, but I had to run cncreg.exe and on the ActiveXDLL Components tab I had to register mcview2.dll and possibly mcdescr.dll, atl.dll... Its been a while so I dont remember. Maybe someone else remembers. Also I believe the order in which they where registered matters. I know I read about it here on the forum. So I did a search but can seem to find the topic. confused.gif

[ 06-07-2002, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Mark H ]

Read the mcview2.hlp file in your mcam9 directory. It tells all about this.

The following is the text portion of the file:

MCView2

The MCView2 file viewer is used to preview Mastercam part files.

Mastercam Viewer Installation:

During Setup, Mastercam attempts to register the necessary DLLs for the Mastercam viewer. If, for some reason, it fails to register automatically, you can register the DLLs manually. To install Mastercam’s Viewer utility, you must register three DLL files. In order to register these DLLs, you will need to execute a program called CNCREG.EXE which you can open by choosing Start, Programs, Mastercam, CNCReg. Once CNCREG is launched, choose the ActiveX/DLL Components dialog box tab. Use the tree directory to navigate to the folder where Mastercam is installed. In this folder, select ATL.DLL, select the Register Control radio button, and choose the Apply button at the bottom of the dialog box. See the following graphic for an example of the dialog box.

Note: You must register ATL.DLL first.

Repeat the procedure for MCVIEW.DLL or MCVIEW2.DLL (one of these files will be present on your system). Windows 95, 98, and ME systems will have MCVIEW.DLL. Windows NT and 2000 systems will have MCVIEW2.DLL. Once you have installed these three DLLs, you will be able to view a Mastercam part file bitmap using the right mouse button menu in Windows Explorer.

Usage:

Start Windows explorer. Right click the mouse on the mastercam part file you would like to preview. A pop-up menu will appear that contains the ‘Quick View’ option. Select this option.

MCView2 will preview the selected geometry file.

Menu:

File, Open Geometry File – this option will open the displayed geometry file within Mastercam.

File, Open Geometry File with – this option is used to specify the program to use to open the file. Type a new program name and press Enter. Or, press Esc to cancel.

File, Save as BMP – this option saves the Mastercam part file as a .BMP file.

File, Exit – this option will end your file viewer session.

View, Toolbar – toggle display of the toolbar.

View, Status bar – toggle display of the status bar.

Toolbar Buttons:

Open – same as File, Open Geometry File.

Help – displays this help file.

Viewing another geometry file:

To view another geometry file, use the mouse to select the file in Windows Explorer. Now, drag and drop it onto the MCView2 viewer.

NOTE:

1. You cannot edit geometry files within the MCView2 viewer.

2. To view the file descriptor, right click in Windows Explorer and select the ‘properties’ option.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Oh, Man!!!!!!! That is awesome!!!!!! Never again do I have to wonder what something is. two words..... SUH WEEEEEEEEEET

Thanks guys.

• 8 months later...

Jody,

I'm not sure but you might be trying to see the bitmap image inside mastercam (not in explore). If so, you need to first save a file with the thumbnail box turned on. File, Save, click in the small box, in the lower left corner, for "save thumbnail image with geometry". Then go to File, Get, click on last or second to last button in upper right corner of the window and you will see thumbnail image of any files that were saved with the "save thumbnail with..." box checked.

Hope this is what you wanted.

Phil

Jody, I think I know what you are asking...

In Window's explorer you must right click on the file and then select "Quick View" to view the image. As for selecting the "thumbnails" in Windows Explorer, I see that it doesnt work. (or at least I could not get it to work either).

This is all clearly explained in the

What's New in Ver 8.1 or(ver9.x)PDF. installed in your MasterCam root directory. accessible from Start/programs/McamX.x/What's new in Ver X.x. Read it

works good too.

also use the "mastercam style" file get dialog. set that in cncreg.exe in the same path as ^above^

remember, allways RTFD

hth

klg

You must check "include bitmap in file when saving" box in System Configuration when you using PREVIEW feature.

Checking that box might cause some PC crash when you saving shaded view.

You may do two things if that happens to you.

1. Uncheck that box and stop use PREVIEW feature. Or

2. Make sure turning off shading when you saving the file and disable AUTO BACKUP feature at beginning.

If you don't deal with surfaces and solids, then don't bother.

[ 02-21-2003, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: David S ]