Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lap top

ericncmfg

Welcome to the forum Eric. These guys are very computer savvy and there is a benchmark thread below that may have some info. They will chime in shortly to give you some good suggestions.

Personally I like Xeon dual or quad core processors, 4 gig ram, nvidia quadro fx video with at least 512mb. I have seen how much faster that system seams to run.

There's a compamy called Sager that makes HiPerf laptops. I have a dual core AMD 3800 w/ Nvidia graphics, 17" screen, 1680x1050 res, built in port for every type of memory stick ever made, full numeric pad, full surround sound (5 speakers).

It's a real powerhouse. But It's Heavy and the power supply is big.

http://www.xoticpc.com

Mike Mattera

Here is what we suggest to our customers.

LAPTOP

Manufacturer Dell

Model Numbers Workstation Precision M2300, M4300, M6300

Processor Intel Core Duo or Core 2 Duo 1.66 GHz or higher

RAM 1 GB+, the more the better

Graphics Card NVIDIA Quadro FX w/256 Mb Video RAM or more

Screen Resolution 1280 x 1024 or better

Hard Drive 40 gb or more

CD/DVD Drive CD RW or DVD RW (for saving files and taking to another computer)

Mouse Optical w/Scroll

Operating System Windows XP Pro 32 Bit (Verisurf does not support Windows XP 64 bit or Vista at this time)

Office Software MS Office Basic or better

Network as required

Optional External Monitor (Adding a larger external monitor can make viewing from a distance easier.)(make sure monitor is compatible with graphics card, eg: VGI or DVI connection)

Regards and Welcome

Tim Martinez

I have to agree with iowajim- the D901c is the fastest laptop on the market right now, and you can also get it with an SSD drive to make it even faster. It is a big, heavy laptop, though. That's the price you pay for using essentially all desktop components. But, you get a machine as fast as a desktop, and you can carry it around with you...

I recently purchased a Lenovo W500 Laptop

2.8GHz T9600 centrino 2,

ATI Fire GL V5700 with 512MB

4GB Ram (Vista32), (Supposedly Workstation Class)

I guess I should have read these forums first but didn’t know about them. I was having problems with the viewports in X3 and X2, and was able to fix it by turning off Hardware Acceleration form the advice of this forum (Thanks all!). Turning off hardware acceleration hardly sounds like an ideal situation, but I’m not too knowledgeable about computers.

Okay, the big question is this. The computer is still new, and I think I can return it and possibly purchase a Dell. Does that make sense? I was either going to purchase the Dell M4400 (latest 15.4” workstation class with Nvidea FX770) or the Lenovo W500 but Lenovo had a 2 day sale at the time so I bought it. About $400 less.

Anyway, is it wise to return the computer and pay an additional $400 for the dell so that I can use hardware acceleration? Just an X3 newbie playing with simple wireframe drawings for now, but want to work with solids.

Hi Doug, did you have to disable hardware acceleration? It's kind of annoying to have to do that when the mastercam site says its recommended to run full hardware acceleration. Mastercam seems to be behaving now, but then again, I am only goofing around with very simple drawings from a self learning book. If the drawings get more complicated, I am just wondering if I'm going to have future problems and I only have a short window to return the computer which I really don't want to but will if more experienced users think its a good idea.

Alan

Okay, maybe its not the graphics card, my computer can switch between the ATI V5700 and some on board Intel graphics and I have the same viewport problem on either graphics adapter. If screen settings are on opengl, then I have to turn hardware acceleration off or I can switch to GDI instead of opengl and it seems to work.