Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam In SolidWorks Questions

NeilJ

quote:

The In-House crew I have a lot of respect for in particular Ed House and I am not attempting th tarnish that. In the End I guess I must Blog on!

If your truly respect In House Solutions you will.

I'm surprised that In House Solutions lets as much specific talk of other CAM systems go as they do. I think it's been stated that they don't want this to occur. I could be wrong but I think I understand this correctly. I try very hard not to mention specific CAM systems but rather *specific functionality*. This has served me well so far and I mean to stick by it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keith, I must say thank you for stepping up and not playing childish games and trying to deceive us like some have done to me and others in the past.

Sorry that you guys do not like CNCzone. I know that I try and help there along with here.I just like to help and these are my home for now. I have respect for you that you do not like the way the board is based on adds.

And for not stepping down and calling it names but giving your opinion and why.

I am hoping with still being a MC user and one for along time you will also help the users of this board.

I agree that Ed and the crew at in-house are good people not just for giving us this board.

JM2C cool.gif

quote:

Are you ready to come clean?

Can anyone "come clean" in a moderated product forum?

Some people pretend you can, just like they pretend that there are not serious problems in a cesspool like CNC Advertising Zone.

I don't pretend anyone can "come clean" in a moderated product forum. That's not the purpose of this forum.

I've got a blog for a reason. The main reason is to get improvements in the CADCAM industry that I feel are very badly needed. It's not a hard blog to find.

It's not that we (in house etc.) abhor constructive criticism or well placed suggestions, it's that the primary purpose of eMastercam.com is to provide an additional technical resource and communication window for people to better use Mastercam. If all anyone is doing is saying, "don't use mastercam, use _______", that's not helping someone use Mastercam. Some people don't have the choice in which CAM software they use while others have tried many and selected Mastercam for their work; for these people and anyone using it, eMastercam can be useful and so nonconstructive criticism can be nonconstructive.

Blogs are a great way to share your thoughts and opinions on the internet, but you would also be surprised at how much people listen to at the corporate level. Mastercam VARs are more than happy to listen to concerns of their customers.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

The key here should be CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is ALWAYS welcome. ALWAYS has been, ALWAYS will be. The "...Mastercam sucks..." from people with axes to grind has no place anywhere but people's fog blogs. The reason I say "fog" is because they rarely add clarity to something. Not to mention, they are usually tainted with an agenda, weather they be personal ad homonym attacks or just plain raw criticisms of something with no real substantitive answers, just rants.

JMHO

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

One of Canada's most respected blogs just published my comments on CAM systems running inside of SolidWorks

Do you feel special now Jon? Should we send you a brownie button because you're such a world renowned exSPURT ?

Man you really are riding this thing hard arent you. You know I thought you were here to just simply try and improve MCAM but your clearly trying to push people in another direction. You a sales rep, you cant possibly be an AE I can not see you in a position like that. The software you are pushing are you even a user or you truly have a grudge against Solidworks and Pro-e. Can you use either of softwares a little, can you extrude a solid? We have the conversation going in the dev. forum except its now to the point I can only laugh. I hope you dont think you can push CAD software through CAM user forum, because you have alot of guys like myself that are just as involved in Engineering as in Machining. And I have read your postings, followed your links, and watched the Youtube vids, and you have shown me nothing that I would even think for a second to jump ship. Solidedge rep even called me before my mait agreeemnt was up with Sworks, sent me a demo and told me I could have the seat if I didnt re-up my solidworks. I know several local people they contacted and a whopping zero took that offer. My customer base would dimenish.

Time to get back on topic.

Hopefully in the coming weeks these questions will get answered:

Last I knew Mastercam in SolidWorks wasn't expected to have much 2 1/2 axis mill capabilities. Has this changed?

How does the quality of Chaining in Mastercam In SolidWorks compare to stand alone Mastercam? Are Chains easier to see?

Is the Tool Library user interface the same as stand alone Mastercam?

Can you Regenerate a toolpath directly from a Machining Operations dialog box without having to close it?

Can you Backplot or Verify directly from a Machining Operations dialog box without having to close it?

Can you create Chains directly from a Machining Operations dialog box without having to close it? Can you modify or add Chains directly from a Machining Operations dialog box without having to close it?

Can you create or modify WCS's without having to close a Machining Operations dialog box?

mold100

I think you are confusing NeilJ with PFBC

NeilJ.. you are asking questions about

beta software.. I don't know the answers

to your questions and if I did, I could not

talk about them here.

and anybody who does know will not discuss beta

on the open forums..

quote:

NeilJ.. you are asking questions about

beta software..

Well keep in mind it's being featured / pushed on the CNC Software site.

http://www.mastercam.com/CamZone/NewsZone/Article6.aspx

As Mastercam In SolidWorks gets closer to release it would be nice if CNC Software made more details known about it. Obviously I'm very interested in knowing the answer to some of the questions I asked because I would like to see Mastercam be much more non-modal.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Well then there's your answer Jon. Wanna know more? How 'bout you get off your lazy @$$ and learn something ON YOUR OWN FOR A CHANGE!. Oh, wait, you need a video don't you. Nevermind.

confused.gif "...

How does the quality of Chaining in Mastercam In SolidWorks compare to stand alone Mastercam? Are Chains easier to see?..."

For containment boundaries, it uses SW's selection methods, such as edges, loops, & sketch geometry, including using the nice 'Select Tangency' feature.

confused.gif "...Is the Tool Library user interface the same as stand alone Mastercam?..."

Yes

confused.gif "...

Can you Regenerate a toolpath directly from a Machining Operations dialog box without having to close it?

Can you Backplot or Verify directly from a Machining Operations dialog box without having to close it?

Can you create Chains directly from a Machining Operations dialog box without having to close it? Can you modify or add Chains directly from a Machining Operations dialog box without having to close it?

Can you create or modify WCS's without having to close a Machining Operations dialog box? ..."

No on all counts - not until standard Mastercam does.

Now don't make me regret providing some information to you...

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Now don't make me regret providing some information to you...

ROFL!!!!!

[hijack]

On a side note Pete, looks like the light at the end of the tunnel for your Irish wasn't a freight train after all. biggrin.gif

See ya in November for the smack fest!!! biggrin.gif

[/hijack]

Pete those Comments went right to his Blog, He just went to 40 Sites and posted them as what CNC stand on the matter is.(He's Hoping to have every news outlet in the world pick it up as Jon's take on his constant improvement of the Cad/Cam industry quest) I mean if it is advertised by Mastercam it will be out tomorrow right.(being extremely Sarcastic not towards Pete) When you see the world work in real time you see many thing people hope to get done they can not in the original time frame they would like. I can think of many thing put out like Delivery Dates, features, and other things the great folks at CNC have tried to do over the last 5 years I have been on the forum that were late or just did not happen. I have made my complaints about them. However they for the most part have stayed here!!!!!!!!!!! Pete your comments will be twisted, changed, and quoted in ways you never knew were possible.

I do find it funny that people from companies like Boeing, CNC Software, Verisurf, Mastercam dealers, and countless other Manufacturing companies keep coming to the place the self proclaimed advocate for Cad/Cam(Jon) says is a forum of Idiots, with a bunch of Clique Idiots. So please take the blogs with the couple tons of salt you should when laughing at what is posted there.

"...Pete your comments will be twisted, changed, and quoted in ways you never knew were possible..."

Ron,

Thanks for the warning. I've been watching this thread and others like it long enough to expect that is just what will happen.

James,

The way things have been going with ND football the last couple years, I'm more concerned about the Navy game!

quote:

For containment boundaries, it uses SW's selection methods, such as edges, loops, & sketch geometry, including using the nice 'Select Tangency' feature.

Are there plans to include the kind of selection functionality that SolidWorks has in stand alone Mastercam any time soon?

quote:

No on all counts - not until standard Mastercam does.

I hope a change is coming on this soon. Mastercam X3 has been a huge disappointment to me.

quote:

Now don't make me regret providing some information to you...

Seems like you have predetermined this to be the case already.

[ 10-21-2008, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: NeilJ ]