Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Data transfer questions...

Reverend Turk

I work for the government and they have recently cut us off from using thumb drives. This is how I usually transfer data to all our machines that way.

I now am looking at trying to get our opur machines hooked up via rs232 or something similar but I have no idea how to do this or who to talk too. We have three computers that will need to be hooked up to multiple machines.

First question is where would start for information on how to acheive this and the hardware needed.

Second question...is it possible to send just a drawing???

I get .dxf drawings sometimes that I need to bring into the waterjet. If not I have to redraw them using the waterjet software and that is not ideal for of the more complicated parts.

Any and all info I can get this on this would be great. As for right now we are limited to programming by hand at the machine. banghead.gifbanghead.gif

I would think most controls capable of reading a USB flash device would be Ethernet capable too and that is likely the best way go.

The first thing you need to do is find out how the control is capable of communicating. RS232? Ethernet? Both RS232 and Ethernet? Fanuc Data Server via Ethernet? Mylar Tape? Punch Cards? What?

Turk,

The way I send/recieve programs is using easyDNCxp software(easydnc.net)on host computer,then hook up an "octupus"cable(blackbox.com)then run rs-232 cable from host computer to respectives machines,the software allows you to send to multiple machines from one computer.

MCX3

Mill3

Lathe1

Wire2

Look into a cabled/wireless DNC system. A lot depends on how many machines, distances between PC and machines and also plans for futur expansion.

For now, you seem to have 8 machines (if my math is correct). RS-232 cabling from PC to machine should not exceed 300 ft. If using this type of cabling, I recommend using sheilded cabling to hinder any interference.

Another solution is putting an RS-232 HUB on the shop floor with RS-232 drop downs to each machine.

To combine Ethernet capable machines and some that might not have this capability, you could string Ethernet cables from your PC to a hub on the shop floor and from there ethernet cable to each machine. Moxa has some NPort5110 converters that will convert a TCP/IP address into a COM port. This will allow you to use standard cabling all across the shop.

We often use DIGI Acceleport XEM or CX modules for direct RS-232. You can also put in a PCI multiport card in the PC (Rocketport, Startech, ...).

Wireless is another route, instead of using ethernet cables you would use a wireless bridge ... and at the machine use the Moxa units.

As far as software is concerned, we are in a Mastercam forum so many are already use to using the Cimco Edit software supplied with Mastercam. Cimco DNc-Max will handle many transfer protocoles and needs pertaining to your transfer needs. Take a look at the documentation at there website http://www.cimco-software.com

If you need more info, send me an e-mail ...

Hope this helps ...

quote:

----------------------------------------------

(if my math is correct). RS-232 cabling from PC to machine should not exceed 300 ft.

----------------------------------------------

Actually the length of cable changes with baud rate. It should be no more than 100 ft @ 9600 baud rate decreasing in length as baud rate increases.

Anyway, the gubment should have the coin to go wireless....if not, do ethernet. cheers.gif