Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Soccer world championship

Stefan Salmen

I guess I will have to say I will be cheering for a North American team to go further this year. I don't think a N.A. team has ever won or has hardly gone this far before. Good for the US team!

There have been quite a few surprises this year.

these are surprise outs: Argentina, France ,and Italy(who didn't play well at all their game against Korea )and Ireland.

These are surprise ins: Korea!!!!, USA, Turkey,

Oh yeah! and Senegal..a very well put together team!

[ 06-19-2002, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: ChrisD ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Heh, heh, heh! I hope the US does beat those ARROGANT europeans. I was so glad to see the French get spanked right out of the cup. HA HA HA HA HA.

But if the US does not get by Germany certainly they made people sit up and take notice because they have been consistently improving over the years.

I'm not a soccer fan but I'm a fan of the US so ..........................

GO RED WHITE AND BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

[ 06-20-2002, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

If you want to silence the Germans just start chanting 1:5 it works for us England supporters smile.gif

Ireland are not really a surprise out if they nor turkey a surprise in.

re the Korea Italy game, a little snippet that is really pissing me off is the news that an the Italian club that Koreas match winning goal scorer played for have sacked him for and I quote 'biting the hand that feeds him', and 'making fools of his clubs home nation' this is a very dangerous precident and if every club sacked players who scored against their national team then there would either be no more national teams, or no more foreign players in club football!

I agree. The coach(manager) for Perugia is way out of line. Of course it's his job to score on the opposing team!!! But to say that he is never welcome back to play in Perugia is just sour grapes.

On the other hand I understand the frustration

that the players and fans feel. This is the last time I will say it, But I think Italy should have had that game, They just went on the defensive way too early in the game and were too afraid to go on the attack more often in the end thats what cost them. That's why they're going home.

Oh well. Brazil and England? Go England! They've been playing really well!

Bryan,

Why would you say that Ireland is a surprise out?

I personally thought that they had been playing well, But I guess I wasn't looking at it from the European point of view. Was this the general feeling over there? And what was the story with Roy Keane? I never really heard the whole reason why he was kicked off the Ireland team.

The referee most probably supported the home team.look how South Korea managed to score a goal minutes later after only 2 Portuguese players were sent off!in the Italy vs South Korea ,also after the Italian player was sent off do they managed to score a goal!and that was the player who had missed the penalty in the early part of the game,most probably to save his job in Italy,but in the end he has to score a goal for his country,or else they will call him a traitor!as for the italian coach who sacked this player,he,s a fascist!

Dont get me wrong, Ireland were playing well, they did very well to get as far as they did, and extreamly well to take their last game to penalties, but they were never a team considered to be in the front running and their departure is nothing like the magnitude of the departure of the likes of France, Argentina and Italy, losing to penalties is heartbreaking for any team.

The Roy Keane debacle was in my view entirely down to Roy Keane having a big mouth!, it seams that the guy had a non stop winge at just about everything whilst he was over there and then had an explosive bust up with his manager (who he didnt like because he wasn't Irish.

And so, on to tomorow, England v Brazil, this is going to be the match that decideds who wins the Worl Cup as after this the winners will have a clear path to the Cup.

After tomorrow, well is an England/Germany final on the cards? If so, then the pressure on the Germans will be crippling as they will not only have to erase their 1:5 slaugter in Munich last year, but the last time England met Germany in the Finals was of course in 1966, and the Germans have been praying that England win another world cup ever since then, just so we will stop replaying the damn match highlights....

heres a little statistic Ive made up, is it true?:-

most replayed sporting moment in sporting history ever!:-

Geoff Hursts final goal in the 1966 world cup final

Soccer and Patriotism!

A heavy mixture of volatility that's hard to match.

I like to think that I can look at it from dispassionate point of view but it's hard.

I find myself, (when I watch my team about to score or come close to it),almost lunging at the TV and I don't even realize it. I use every expletive known to Mankind and invent new ones when they lose or are scored against.

Am I alone!

smile.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I heard the game was a tough battle. (Germany v.s the US). Too bad they did not come out on top.

The US is continuing to do better each Cup which is really all you can ask. Of course going all the way is nice but the reality is the US is a relative new comer to the game so you gotta give the program time to mature and grow. Our "Farm" system is still in it's infant stages (MLS).

JM2C

MCFelix,

I tend to agree with you even though I would rather have Germany win than Brazil.

Stefan,

You are a true gracious sportsman and I thank you for your comments.

I for one am glad the USA team went as far as they did. They will receive a little respect for their efforts. Team USA never received much respect from anyone in the World Cup. Many eyes have been opened. It will be harder next time to get further.

I was astounded after watching a few minutes from a couple of matches, to find how often some national teams are quite often less sportsman-like and more "win at any cost". Even if it means taking a dive in the penalty box when barely tapped from an opponent. I am glad to hear that most false offenses, like the one I just described, were being yellow carded for their attempts to "steal" a victory. Blatantly pulling on players and forcing the ball in the other direction should not only constitute a free kick to the victim, but also a yellow card to the attacker. I've watched MLS games which had a season on the line (for the two teams playing) and were more well mannered. There will always be another World Cup, just like there are always other seasons. To win by roughing up opponents and undeserved penalty kicks, is not an honorable win. JMHO cheers.gif

[ 06-28-2002, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Peter Scott, SFA ]