Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solids and level 1

T. Boone

quote:

Does the solids option have to be installed in level one to be able to use a Solidworks model. I have level one x3 and am trying to flip and rotate a model to achieve the right orientation.

No, you can import a Solid without the solids license. However, to move or modify a solid you MUST have the Solids license.

If you do not have the Solids License you can use the WCS to move an origin TO the solid.

Otherwise you can bring it in as surfaces and move them.

quote:

So in other words, picking toolpath off a solid is only possible if the solids option is installed. Is there anyway around this?

No, this is not true. As they said above, you can bring it in and use it to toolpath with. If it is not oriented the right way, you have to use WCS to move and orient the origin to the part because you can't x-form it without the solids add on.

To chain from a solid directly, you have to hit the 'solids' button on the chain manager (beside the 'wireframe' button at the top)

I prefer wireframe geom myself.

HTH

Thank you everyone for the tips. I am new to solids and am looking forward to learning how to use them for toolpath. How do I bring in a solid as surfaces as Hockey Guy suggests? Is a solid from Solidworks brought in as a different format as default? I guess the bottom line is I need the solids option to be productive.

quote:

How do I bring in a solid as surfaces as Hockey Guy suggests?

File-Open, select the file with a single click, then click Options.

You're better off bringing in the solid, creating edge curves and surfaces from the solid, then deleting the solid if you don't want it. Curves from surfaces usually suck.

Thad

I do lots of 3d work here without the solids add on.

Wcs is my friend.

You can set the solids import defaults to bring it in as a solid or as surfaces. It will automatically convert it for you when you open the file.

You can also set the config to add edge curves at the same time.

its all in Settings >> config >> converters >> solid import.