Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT/Your favorite Machine shop "Pearls of Wisdom"

Scott Bond

quote:

Just go ahead and do what you want, because it's easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission in the first place.

Ain't that the truth! wink.gif

You can get a wrong part that looks good through QC quicker than a right part that looks bad

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I feel the need to share something that last night's night shift did.

The DAY setup guy had the parts running fine. The tool was leaving a small burr where the end of the length of cut was, but he just used a dynabrade and everything was fine. (Keep in mind this was the last tool of this type in the shop - none are due to arrive until next week). Day told the night shift guy to run it as is. DON'T change the tool. Well, let me tell you what he did, he changed the tool, wrong corner radius $2500 in scrap(the whole freakin job)!!!! What a dumb@$$. The program's tool comment specifies a .125 radius, the PRINT (of all things) specifies a .125 radius, AND the setup sheet specifies a .125 corner radius in no less than 2 places! WHAT A FRIGGIN IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!. I know nobody is perfect, I'm not asking for perfection. I'm just asking for somebody to give a $#!+ !!!! and read a friggin print!!!! This guys does stuff like that all the time. I never let him run my stuff when I have anything to say about it, he won't leave $#!+ alone. "NOPE, I gotta edit the program, I don't care if it ran fine during the day, I need to change the program.".

Thanks for letting me vent. The whole point to this was one of our Forum Friends said

quote:

I made production. It's all scrap, but I made production.

I wanted to echo his sentiment

OUT!

Hey James; you're not alone!

I'm sure most of us have a day shift/night shift story or too to tell:

A couple of years ago we had a job that was really hot (which one isn't) that the night shift set up and the guy edited the program to slow down one tool because he "thought the RPM was too high" and he didn't like it. As a result the night shift ran about 6 parts all night. When the day shift came in, we changed the job back to what it should've been and ran about 30 parts; problem solved, right?

NO! eek.gif

The night shift guy CHANGED IT BACK and ran another 6 or 8 parts!!!

We almost had a fistfight between the night and day CNC milling foremen the next day.

Every shop has (at least) one guy who always knows better

Hi all

James; Chris,

I like the changing of this silly thread to this group therapy venting thing.And usually we take a useful professional thread and make it a silly thread, that is called “HighJacked”.. This is a silly thread turning into something Useful.

What should we call that?

quote:

Every shop has (at least) one

I have received this comment yelled out on the shop floor.

"This program is no good !!"

Bacause the spot drill of a huge program was to deep.It was because I program to the sharp point, not being able to program to what ever dull broken flated piece of junk the set up man might feel like throwing in there that day.

And they always speel my name wrong on my parts!!

it is --SCott--

not ----SCrap--

[ 07-12-2002, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

I always program my spots .010-.020 shallow for that very reason!

I love when one of the guys comes in saying "I don't know what you're doing but the program is doing something crazy" and I walk out to the machine and say "It might help if you touched the tool off..."

In fairness, my butt has been saved more than once by a guy who looked closely before pushing the button

TGIF cheers.gif

That has to be the funniest post I've read EVER biggrin.gif

I think I Dunno hangs out with "somebody" as in "somebody dropped this..." or "somebody didn't put that tool where it belongs..." or my favorite "somebody must've bumped the turret..."

"Bumped," of course, can be used any time that the turret is not literally knocked out of the machine. That, I think, is "thumped."

Not from a machine shop, but good nonetheless:

My buddy, a mechanic, has this in his shop:

Repairs $50/hour

$60/hour if you bring the parts

$100/hour if you worked on it first

and...

Flats fixed: $

If you watch: $$

If you help: $$$