Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

how to..

belearner

If that is not a loaded question I do not know what is.

There are 100's questions that come to mind.

What is the size of the part?

What is the material to be made out of?

Is is a casting needing machining?

Is is made out of solid stock?

Is is a weldment?

Is it going to have heat treat? Chrome? Paint? If so do dimensions apply before or after plate?

Is it tight tolerances?

Is is part of an assembly?

Is is right and lefts?

Is it dimensioned per GD & T?

Is it model based? and is the blue print the authority or the model?

Does it have holes?

Does it have profile tolerance call outs?

Is it controlled by ITAR?

Do I have machines in which to machine it with?

Can I get a sample part?

What kind of delivery?

What kind of quantity?

That would be a start.

If the part has multi ops, I look at the part and start going through the machining steps in my head. If it has many ops 6-?? then I write them down. When I was just starting out my boss made me write down the steps then hand draw the part as it progressed through the machining operations.

It was very helpful to do this because it made you see the part in your mind and if you ran into problems you could catch them as your work flow moved forward. The more you do this the better you get at it. Another way to look at it is how not to machine the part. If I machine this step am I going to be able to finish the part? Knowing what won't work is as important as knowing what will work.

Hi Belearner,

I would say yes you can "see" how to machine certain things from a blue print but it depends on the type of equipment available. When I look at prints to quote I need to see how I am going to hold and perform each operation in order to come up with an estimate. Then the questions Ron has listed come into play as well.

Programing is a different story. There are many ways to do the same operation.

As Eric stated experience is key to Machining and programing.

This is a great place to ask questions and learn, never hesitate to ask for help.

John

I prefer to study the print until I have an adequate 3d image in my head. Then I twist my right ear for dynamic spin, my left ear for dynamic pan. wink.gif

Seriously though I tend to visualize how I want it to look by operation. Once I figure out that, visualize somewhat backwards the steps it takes to get there.

Often times it is better to start modelling it from a print to get a better idea of what you are seeing.

Experience only. If you gave the same part, to go on the same machine, to 20 guys here, you would get 20 different programs and all would probably make the part fine. Now, I say fine, because the end result would be a part that meets inspection criteria. Where the experience counts is; one part will be the fastest and the rest will be a percentage of that in time. Read the next question to see if the fastest is the best.

Another factor to consider; machines and tool life. These two factors will give extreme variations on the programs. A guy who is used to programming on a machine that only has a 3500k spindle and is used to programming from one direction let's say, will give a slower program on a 30000k spindle, accurate machine if he doesn't have experience with it.

Consider how many parts and how is it being held. Again guys without much experience will always argue that it has to be done a certain way (we've done it this way for forty years and that's the only way it will work!!!!), which in the end will kill production (they are mostly gone anyway ro will be soon, especially with this economy). Guys who have been exposed to a variety of machines, holding methods, good bosses who let them take chances and didn't kill their spirit if it didn't work, will always find a way to make it faster and better.

Seeing results from experience.

There are certain softwares that can "look" at certain features of a part and determine "it's" best method based on criteria that has been input.

Someday, somebody is going to get smart and there won't be any programmers. They'll be operators just like at the machine.

As I reread your question, it really doesn;t make much sense though. Are you asking for maching certain functons of it, the entire part or how can you picture it in your head?

Ron, How does ITAR have anything to do with "seeing" the part? You mean you couldn't get the email to look at it in the first place! LOL! Sorry, just funning ya! How are things going with Ernie? Are you still at V&M part time?

quote:

How are things going with Ernie? Are you still at V&M part time?

Great with Ernie, I really like working here. Yes still at V & M 3 days a week and 2 days a week at Verisurf. Today I was at V & M and answered the phone Verisurf so my days are blurring a little bit. We live so close and have never met we need to meet up some time.

ITAR parts require a certain amount of requirements for handling them. People who would be seeing the prints have to be American Citizens or have Green Cards or approved security clearance, Your company has to have been cleared to do ITAR work. Aynone caught not adhering to those rules can be fined big time. I seen some of the big boys not paying as close attention how their 1st tiers passed out work and get bitten. eek.gifeek.gif

"I prefer to study the print until I have an adequate 3d image in my head. Often times it is better to start modelling it from a print to get a better idea of what you are seeing."

Superior advice.

If I could add to that:

If a part is complex or tricky, I'll often program most of the work in advance, as well as any fixturing I may need, modeling both the part and the fixture in MC. I also gather up the hard to find or akward tooling before I commit to the setup. On some occasions, even with all the advanced planning that can get done, snafus arise and ya just gotta wing it.

That's true Matt but you can;t rely on the model in some cases, Ron's post addresses that when it asked is the model or the print the last word. It can vary.

I know all about ITAR Ron. Deal with it everyday. Had the highest security clearances in the country. Both DoD and DoE. I remember on my DoD clearance, the agent told me, "I don't care if the President tries to come through that door, you don't let him or tell him what you're doing!" LOL!

Yep, we need to meet up sometime. Tell Ernie and the crew at TriTech I said Hi. Ernie might remember me from the old Compucor/Camsoft days. Dealt with the TriTech guys recently for Achates in Sorrento Valley other customers.

Sheesh I'm getting old.

Working from home now on F18, F22 and F35 parts.