Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solid Works 2010

Casey Hewes

sldprt files are probably not compatible with

X4MU1.. but you can always export your SOlidWorks models as a parasolid X_B or X_T and open those

in Mastercam.

I prefer that method anyway because you can

export Solidworks Coordinate Systems with parasolids

+1 with Gcode on that one. You can even bring in the assembly as the X_T file also if you save it out together.

Also in regards to the X_T file what you have displayed in SW as you save the file as an X_T it will prompt you if you want any of the hidden files to be saved also or not. If you want only what you see say no to it. I usually will have a config showing specific setups which are only going to be specific builds. Thus the nice feature for saving out only what you wish to with the X_T.

quote:

Also in regards to the X_T file what you have displayed in SW as you save the file as an X_T it will prompt you if you want any of the hidden files to be saved also or not. If you want only what you see say no to it. I usually will have a config showing specific setups which are only going to be specific builds. Thus the nice feature for saving out only what you wish to with the X_T.

I though when you open a .sldprt it gave you a configuration option? Is there an advantage I'm not seeing?

quote:

I prefer that method anyway because you can

export Solidworks Coordinate Systems with parasolids.

How is that different from opening a .sldprt also?

Thanks.

quote:

You can export it different from the way you drew it?

Yes.. See Insert/Reference Geometry/Coordintate

Systems.

Build one on your model.. orienting the origin, X Y and Z the way you'd like your model in Mastercam

Then

File/Save As

Choose parasolid X_T or B filetype..

Click on the Options button and select your new

coordinate system

Then OK..

When you import that parasolid into Mastercam

it will be oriented the way you defined it in SW.

It works for Assemblies and SW generated STL files too.

This is a very powerful and useful tool

quote:

yes, front in SW is top in MC

[off topic] I think this warrants further discussion. I am not sure which is wrong (or right) Mastercam or Solidworks. Seems to me that "top" should be "top", no matter the CAD system. I do know that from the days I was using CadKey, Top = top in both systems. Recently I modeled a aircraft part in Solidworks using "Aircraft Coordinates". When it was compared to a UG model supplied by the vendor (another long story, our contract specified that we had to provide a solid model, even tho one already existed....this was a part for the A-10, originally made via old school blueprints and loft data), it was correct, but on the other side of the airplane.

Either way...this is something that has bothered me in the past....Solidworks Top = Mastercams Front = UG left side. [/off topic]

Also...must kick in my kudo's for gcode's tip. Pretty cool.