Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Is there a way?

Thoob

I have to make a hole 5/8" dia through a 5/8" plate. It has to have a c/sink of 79 degrees. What I normally do for these parts is contour the top with tapered walls in the "depth cuts" parameters and use a .031 bullnose insert cutter. I put in 39.5 for taper. I use .01 doc's. The only problem is I have to plunge the .01 everytime. When I select ramp contour, I don't have the option to use tapered walls anymore, so my question is this. Can I ramp down on a contour using a tapered wall parameter? if i surface it, what kind of toolpath would I use? Finish Contour?

What are you asking me JParis?

Just to be up front here, I'm not the most advanced in the 3D toolpaths as of yet. I usually just do pretty standard surfacing so if there are options you think I could use, can you tell me where they are? lol. Thanks fellas.

This is really simple..

draw a surface that represents the cone.

make the surface exetend above and below

the actual top and bottom of the actual cone

you want to cut

draw an arc at the top of the cone.

use the toolpath surface / blend

chain the circle and the center point of the circle for your blend chains

make sure you chain it ccw so you'll get

a climb cut

select the arc first then the point

use spiral for cut type

use the depth setting to control the start and end of the cut

How many parts? Don't you have a local guy who resharpens your tools? Take a 3/4 82 degree c'sink have him make it 79. C'sink the hole. Done in a minute. What is the angle tolerance? Can you get away with it being 82 degrees? Sometimes we just over think things and the old and simple way is still the best and fastest.

How about using contour with angled walls like you have been, but chain the center point before the diameter. In lead in/out, check use start point and end point. This will cause the cutter to return to the center of the hole, where there is no stock, to plunge. Try a .05 lead in/out rad with no line.

Thad