Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

tool center bounderies

Storkman

Thanks for your reply but my problem isn't starting at a peticular point but that the tool wont start at the designated "x" or "y" line it divides up the containment area and starts or ends anywhere from .100 to .500 inside the boundery. Especially when using half the diameter of the cutter for a stepover.

I can't share my file with you do to our firewall. But I recently ran a surface-rough-parallel toolpath and it came up short on one end by .200 and the other by .100. Using a 1.25 diameter endmill with a .45 stepover. I had to keep extending my boundery to get it to stop and start roughly where I wanted.

the start point isnt the problem. mastercam breaks it into a various number of passes that dont always start and stop where you want. I have tried dividing the length of the boundery evenly and using that number for the stepover and it still doesnt come out right.

• 1 year later...

but it seems that surface rough parallel toolpath takes quite a long machining time compared to surface rough pocket?i backplotted the times for surface rough parallel and it shows a ridiculously long machining time!therefore i dared not use this toolpath lest i would be scolded by the boss!

+1000 on hardmill i sometimes create an imagiary bounding box that is not real relation to the part but something that I nkow is bigger i will also go to depths and use the abs and make it sometime a 1/4 deepr if I got the room to make sure it does all i want. Good luck.

When doing surface/rough/pocket play with the option od the cut sometime the different options will also give different results and sometimes making the step over smaller helps also make take longer but does not leave the ribs after it is done either.

Crazy Millman

PS on the surface rough pocket I believe you can tell it to finish outer boundray also.

quote:

You may also try tweaking you step over.

+1 to Hardmill.....In ver 7 I often had to play with stepover distance in order to get a path to crunch or do what I want.(same goes for 8)

Quit using that toolpath since ver 7 and started using surface/rough/pocket with a finish.

I only use the paralell toolpath now if I am cutting something other than steel or aluminum, like graphite or plastic.....

I use Iscar ball mills and they will only cut on the bottom and just a little past tangent on the side.

The rough/paralell wiped out so many tool holders on me it isn't funny.

Surface/rough/pocket may take a tad longer, but for me, it's the one to use. Especially for 3-d.

Murlin teh only does 3-d toolpaths