Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

surfacing question

Thoob

Hi, I have a part I recieved as a solid and I converted it to surfaces as I don't have solids option. The problem is I am trying to extend the surface a bit cause the tool is starting too soon and leaving a bump at the start (ball nose cutter). Everytime I try to extend it, it says "cannot extend trimmed edges of trimmed surfaces"

What does this mean exactly and is there a way around it? I am using surface rough parallel and I can't select Tangential line length cause there is a wall at the end of the toolpath and it would lead into the wall whatever number I put it. I hope this makes sense. Thanks.

You can either untrim the surface, or simply create a small extension surface.

What I often do is offset /copy the edge spline the amount I want to extend, then just create a new ruled surface picking the original edge spline and the one I offset. Include that new extended surface as a drive surface in your toolpath and there you go. wink.gif

Ok, first off, thanks for the very quick responses, lol. Thats awesome. 2ndly, I'm not the greatest in 3d yet, still being self taught so bear with me. I am using X4, i am also using rough parallel surface toolpath. I would like to do the untrim however I am not sure where that option would be. I would like to do this cause it was the most suggested. smile.gif I'll look around the menu and check back here if i can't find it. Thanks guys.

lol, the untrim was the easiest to find. never even realized it was there till i needed it. That worked. Appreciate it fellas. Thanks again. It was just one side I needed to extend. I'm afraid i can't share the file though. Its kind of like a pocket with tapered walls and rads in the corners but one side of the pocket is opened and thats where I was having the issues.

"Extend Trim Surface Edge is my prefered method."

Same here. It just adds another surface to the edge. If your extending a some what funky surface, you can trim it to a plane if need be. Un-trimming surfaces can get messy.

Also note that if your tool is rolling over the edge undesirably, go to Advanced, and select "only between surfaces" or something like that.

Extending the tangential line lengths in GAP settings can crud up an otherwise good path.