Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Esprit and MasterCAM

Dave.L

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

You ARE essentially recreating geometry when you have to create a Feature before you can machine it.

If you don't believe that, fine.

That doesn't change the fact that you pick the data to create the feature then you pick the feature when you machine it.

That's picking the same stuff twice where I come from.

I don't see it that way, if you do well, OK.

quote:

When you make an ignorant statement about the capability of MC Solids vs Esprit I know full well there are function that MC has that you don't know even exist!

I am quite sure MC has capabilities I don't know of and I am quite sure Esprit does as well, and I would bet you don't know some of them as well. As I already said, I have no desire to create Solids in MC or another CAM package, I look for the ability of the program to open or import them. So, I don't concern myself with features of the program I don't need.

quote:

Your conclusion about the MC Mill Tool library again shows ignorance of how the library actually works.

I understand exactly how the MC library works. I have custmized VB database programs in the past and in MC's case they appear to hide the key field thus leaving it possible to have duplicates in the database. That along with other issues of the tooldata does not stop me for looking for a better solution. Actually, what I've seen from PowerMill seems to be a much better solution.

quote:

The integer is simply an index that is used as a flag for the post.

If you don't like that, you are free to change the post to use the name as a flag.

As I already stated, we have done this a while ago. But, IMO, it should come that way out of the box.

quote:

If you already have SolidWorks and you are only doing 2D parts, why aren't you looking at a system that runs inside SolidWorks?

Most seem to be milling add-ons, maybe others are out there too. But, I am not a fan of add-ons other than for some simple, complementary functions. First, 2 licenses are used at once to run the software, second, you need to be concerned about non-parallel updates and three, the opportunity for more bug arise with the merge of two packages.

Saipem, so you seem to hate Esprit, yet you say

quote:

It does, however, work very well for Mill/Turn applications and the posts are relatively easy to edit.

Given the fact that you dislike the core methods of Esprit it would seem that this statement would be a contradiction of your other statements. And why are you looking at Esprit since it would appear that you think MC is a terrific solution?

quote:

That doesn't change the fact that you pick the data to create the feature then you pick the feature when you machine it.

That's picking the same stuff twice where I come from.

Once the chains created you just click it, your not re-selecting it all over again.

I didnt understand it at first but it works well.

PEACE biggrin.gif

Guest SAIPEM

quote:

Once the chains created you just click it, your not re-selecting it all over again.

That's what I said.

The fact that you need to create a SEPARATE entity set from existing geometry is just plain foolish.

That's just how TekSoft did it back in 1990. rolleyes.gif

MasterCam rocks for milling, but in wire, Esprit was the reliable cam package to use for us. Too many times mastercam would choke in wire, that was our experience.

I preferred using mastercam wire, but I had several times where the geometry just wasn't working even after redrawing simple 2D shapes. Took the same geometry and programmed the part in a couple minutes with Esprit. Programmed hundreds of holes and shapes in MC and Esprit was a little faster for us because we would run into problems on occasion. Yeah I'm not making points here on this forum stating that, but what was, was and did happen.

Yes I am a big fan of Mastercam LOL

• 1 month later...

quote:

you need to be concerned about non-parallel updates and three, the opportunity for more bug arise with the merge of two packages.

I disagree I find certain features in Mastercam, such as issues with high speed machining module....which is just an add-on to Mastercam.