Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mazak Vrs Okuma

ATG

Do you have experience with Okuma or Mazak machines? If you already have one or the other, it pays to stick with what you know and your guys are familiar with. If you don't, I would buy Okumas all day long over Mazaks because our Okuma experience has been fantastic over the years and I think Mazak, as a whole, sucks. What are the distributors like in your area? If Mazak has a great reputation for service and support in your region and Okuma does not, that's another factor to consider.

Why not a new Okuma? I just received an email from them last week saying that they're blowing out MC-V machines at low prices right now trying to reduce their inventory.

quote:

I think Mazak, as a whole, sucks.

That is a pretty bold statement. I think you are completely wrong, but again I do have my complaints about Mazaks. As a whole they have always been able to get the job done and been very reliable for me and I have seen well over a 100 since being in this profession. So making that statement makes me have to go huh?? headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

I've never ran a Mazak, but i've ran (and still run) Okumas for the past 15+ yrs, along with various other brands like Mori Seiki, Takumi-Seiki,and limited Fadal experience.

I can honestly say that Okuma is by far a more user friendly control, and their machines are excellent quality.

If the used Okuma is from a dealer and has a warranty, and it's in prime shape, I would seriously consider getting that.

quote:

So making that statement makes me have to go huh??

I have very limited experience with their machines, but more than I need with the company to make that statement. If you have no need of support, and have no expectation of integrity, then Mazak is probably fine; I expect more than that from the companies that our organization partners with.

Everyone's experience is different, but this company will not let the Mazak sales guy in the door as long as I am specifying capital equipment.

Enough said

C

quote:

Is the MCV4020 a Japanese machine? I thought that was their budget line from some other country?

MC-V is a Japanese machine. The ES-V [which I don't think they offer anymore] was a ZPS [Czech] machine with Okuma control, motors, drives, etc, and was offered as their "commodity" line. Not a bad machine at all, we have [2] and they make a lot of money for us, but not as good as an MC-V

Actually Chris has really mellowed on His Mazak opinion. I always wondered how much of peoples experiance is based on local reps. Alot I suspect. There is a large brand in the Dayton area that no one will touch after various shops bought several machines and they think service after the sale does not matter? Salesman told me they lose money on $115 hr. repair work. headscratch.gif (was not Mazak)

The Okuma does have the 15000 rpm spindle. Still waiting on all the specs as far as options. I don’t have any extensive time on either brands, mostly Haas and Fadal. So as far as I can see either is a better option. Anything to look out for on these two machines?

we got an MCV4020 cat50 here since 2002

we that machine every day at 150% of his capacity and we never got any issue

try to cut 3/8 deep x 2.5 wide with a 5" 90deg face cutter in Hardox 100 on a mazak....

or drill with a 2.0 Udrill in inconel 625...

quote:

Actually Chris has really mellowed on His Mazak opinion

Yes; I am getting older and mellower. I told the regional manager for Mazak [now promoted to some higher position, which is hilarious] to his face that I would rip them for the next 35 years to anyone who'd stand still long enough and I have every intention of honoring my word.

Ok

15000 RPM SPINDLE

32 TOOL ATC

THROUGH SPINDLE COOLANT PREP

M CODES 4 SPARE

AUTO GAUGING - RENISHAW

GAUGING I/F ( WHAT IS THIS )

3D TOOL OFFSET

NC-3 LASER TOOL SETTER

DNC-DT 100 W/10BASE 5 CONNECT

THROUGH SPINDLE COOLANT 15KG/CM2 WHATS THE PRESSURE

SUPER NURBS TYPEA

E100 CONTROL

CHIP PAN

4TH AXIS INTERFACE

CHIP CONVERYOR

quote:

GAUGING I/F ( WHAT IS THIS )

Gaging interface, necessary for the machine to talk to the probe

quote:

THROUGH SPINDLE COOLANT 15KG/CM2 WHATS THE PRESSURE

214 psi is the conversion

Looks like a sweet machine! The E100 is a nice control

That sounds like nice machine. We have a MB45VAE with pretty much the same specs.

The Auto Gauging is fantastic.

I back up what others had said, that the controllers are fantastic, and I really like the quality of the machine. We machine stainless steel castings on ours (ours has the BT40 Big+ spindle), and I know of two others who run theirs on steel, aluminium, cast iron and lots of other material. And the machines keeo going and going and going.

And Okuma support and service for us, is the best out of all our machine tools.

Afraid I'm with Chris on this one- I have had Mazaks for 25 years, and would never buy another one- They do NOT want to deal with any problem a smaller shop may have with a new machine. You are supposed to use it as-is and pay for it, but not complain.

My last Mazak, I refused to pay for it till it ran, and they really didn't like that at all...pay now, maybe we fix later....

Last time I asked for a quote, they wanted ALL the money up front, and full list price. Obviously don't want me to buy buy any more Mazaks. Fine with me....nobody else I know will, either, if I can help it!

quote:

I would rip them for the next 35 years to anyone who'd stand still long enough and I have every intention of honoring my word

Thats funny Chris, I done the same thing with another Machine tool company........I wont say any names, but it starts with an "H" and ends with an "O" lol

But at the subject at hand, I cant say cause I've ran Mazaks (and I've liked every one I ran) but never an Okuma

I have used both, and feel the Okuma is a better quality machine. I am a little shocked at the Mazak comments, the Dealer is Australia is one of the best I have dealt with. Their service is really quite good. If I was looking at buying a new machine, I'd be looking at a Makino, Okuma or Mori Seiki.

Mazaks don't seem as sturdy as the three mentioned, nor do Haas machines, but I don't put them in the same category.

Alan