Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam just bit me BIGTIME!

Bob W.

This is not the first time this has happened, but Mastercam randomly changed work offsets mid program on a program that had been previously run and proven. I had to make a few minor modifications to the program and I reposted with only slight changes (depths, etc...). It switched from a G54 to a G55 on a contour operation that was between a tapping operation and another contour operation. In NO OTHER LOCATION in this entire Mastercam file is there a work offset other than a G54 and this change was only on this particular operation, which was completely untouched. I nearly scrapped this mold because of it and I will have to modify multiple pieces to make it work.

After the first time (18 months ago?) I was shocked and this prompted me to start dry running every file at the machine before running. The problem in this instance was that the G54 and G55 offsets were very close so I missed it. It is also a 6 Meg file and I didn't stand there and watch every detail. I am so angry I can hardly see straight. Minor bugs are one thing, although very annoying. This just leaves me speechless... Anyone else run across this?

from the generic 5X post

I always set "use_frst_wcs " to "yes" unless I need to change work offset in a file.

#Work offsets

workofs$ : -1 #Initialize work offset

force_wcs : yes$ #Force WCS output at every toolchange?

use_frst_wcs : yes$ #Use only the first WCS read and ignore all others in NCI

gcode, that is exactly how I have my 5-axis post set up, but this was a 3 axis program. I frequently post out to multiple work offsets for patterned programs so limiting the work offset for 3-axis would be pretty inconvenient.

BenK, there aren'y any offsets to check. G54 was the only offset used in the entire file.

Here is some additional information:

This program was written entirely in X4 MU2 and the post is based on MP11.

Also, given the nature of this I would definitly call it a bug. I posted this program IN ITS ENTIRETY and it ran fine. Then I reposted again, full program, and G55 mysteriously appears. Any chance of getting a confirmation that this issues has or hasn't been fixed in the next release? Its not like people are crashing their machines over it (sarcasm).

quote:

mi9 - Lock on First WCS - Set in first operation

# 0 = No

# 1 = Yes

one of the reasons I use mpmaster for 3 and 4X

work..

to be safe you have to set this in every op

If you set it in OP1 and post the whole file

you'll be fine... but

if you post a couple of OPs in the middle of a

file, you may get burned if you haven't set mi9=1

in ALL ops

One way to check which can be kind of tedious is to post your program then before you send it to the machine search for G5. Then keep hitting search next and you will find every fixture offset in your program one at a time. Like I said kind of tedious but better than crashing a machine or scrapping a part. I have all my multi axis post set to universally lock onto G54 so I have to edit the post if I want to use another fixture offset. This is for the exact reason gcode is talking about. "If you post a couple of ops in the middle of a file you may get burnned". Not if your post is set to universally lock onto G54. My 3-axis posts are set up like yours because I frequently use multiple fixture offsets in a single program.

There is a thrid way.. a bullet proof way..

but Mastercam will scream at you..

Put a "0" in EVERY toolplane you use in a toolpath. You will get yelled at about

duplicate workoffsets but all your output will be G54.

This is how I do it if I need multiple offsets

too. Every toolplane is correctly defined and I deal with the multiple offset yells.

Some of my programs have 10 to 15 work offsets.

When using this many I also label them and use mpmaster's ability to output workoffset labels.

quote:

if rot_on_x & stoolplname <> snull, pbld, n$, pspc, scomm_str, "TOOLPLANE NAME - ", stoolplname, scomm_end, e$

if rot_on_x & stoolplcomm <> snull, pbld, n$, pspc, scomm_str, "TOOLPLANE COMMENT - ", stoolplcomm, scomm_end, e$

That gives me and the operator a clue as to what to look for and a warning if I've made a mistake.

the system isn't foolproof by any means, but the tools are there to prevent this kind of thing.

I thumped a part a couple of weeks ago, but it wasn't Mastercam's fault.

I was in a hurry and didn't set up the work offsets properly.

It was a short program and I intended to edit

one G54 to G55. They didn't get around to needing the file for a couple of days and then wanted it for a differnt machine.

I forgot about the hand edit when I reposted.

Luckily it wasn't a crash but it sure jacked a

threaded hole up frown.gif

That's the danger of relying on hand edits.

I try to do the work to get the output right,

but when we get in a hurry.... rolleyes.gif

I side with Justin we have a protocol that we use that involves certain program checks on critical programs. We do searches in Mcam Editor to verify workoffsets, tool offsets. Also If a workoffset is not being used it is set to zero at the machine. Another safety protocol we use is no hand editing is allowed. cheers.gif

I guess I will have to implement those checks as well. This was also missed by Predator NC verification. I had a G54 offset typed in, but no G55. It didn't alarm or anything that the G55 was not set, it simply ran the simulation showing no issues. It is a PITA that I will need to double check every detail about these programs that Mastercam is posting out. It is really pathetic that it can't post the right offset 100% of the time. Of course, when this bug strikes it is never a cheap part I am working on...

Bullet bob ,

This how my Haas posts out it tells me what offsets it uses and from the stock setup the size of stock.

Example:

%

O0100 ( SAMPLE REV: )

( SAMPLE )

(MACHINE TOOL : HAAS VMC )

(DATE - 19-04-10 )

(TIME - 11:33 )

(*)

(MATERIAL: )

(STOCK SIZE: X = 10.8062 Y = 7.6493 Z = 1.172 )

(HOME POSTION COORIDNATES ARE THE FOLLOWING)

(X= )

(Y= )

(Z= TOP OF PART)

(*)

( TOOL - 1 3" FACE MILL )

( TOOL - 2 3/8 DRILL )

(*)

(USING FIXTURE OFFSETS: G54 G55 G56 )

(*)

G20

G0 G17 G40 G49 G80 G90

T1 M6