Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Switching from tip of tool to center of tool

Thad

Thad, I also use tip for all my 2-d and 3-d programming, It has always worked out perfect for me??? Going off the center of the cutter Rad seems dangerous and troublesome for operators.

I don't understand why your other programmers think this is a good idea??

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

quote:

only if the operator comps the tool wrong [big Grin]

That's why we have tool probes. biggrin.gif

Other than verify a couple of my G10's my setup guys basically hit go.

That's why we got a new MAM monday! biggrin.gif

Vericut wif full machine sim next week.

I aint goin nowhere.....

My condolences Thad frown.gif

there were several articles written years ago and im trying to find one of them but havent yet. but what they said is that when doing certain types of arc's that if you didnt use center of the tool then the tool path didnt follow the proper path and resulted in over/undercutting of the part. at the time my shop forman showed me this and this is what we had to do from then on.

quote:

It gives me a great sense of job security knowing that there are shops out there making decisions like this. I'm sure your materials suppliers will be very happy. Good luck.

+1000

Prior to having a good 3d CAM system centre comp was acceptable. Nowadays.................

Bruce

• 2 months later...

quote:

how many gouged parts were required to reach this

decision

None. It was kind of put on the back burner until now. We've also edited all of our posts to say "Use tip of tool" so when running old and new programs, there shouldn't be any confusion.

Thad

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Though I would comment on this...

quote:

...there were several articles written years ago...

Years ago controls were not as powerful. Years ago controls wer not as fast. Years ago everyone used Cutter Compensation in the Control (glad that madness is waning). Years ago is exactly that; years ago. Let's talk TODAY.

Rare is the time when I need to use center of rad. on my tip comp. Maybe once a year to get the path smoothed out just right. It should be the well noted exception NOT the rule.