Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

toolpath not showing time

Thoob

Would anyone know why specific toolpaths in backplot do not show cycle times? I have a simple job that shows the cycle times for 5 of the 6 operations. One doesn't show anything. So when I click the overall program to show time, its blank. The toolpath in question is simply just a contour with ramp, outside of a 3"x4" part to a depth of 1.8 with cutter comp on control.

Also happened to me, but was a while back. I had a zero feed rate programmed.

If you did have a zero feed rate, check "Minimum feed/min" in the General Machine Parameters. If set to zero change it to .0001, for example. Then if it uses this feed rate for a toolpath, your cycle time will be huge and you'll know immediately something is wrong with your feed rate.

It seems to only happen when I use a helix bore toolpath with cutter compensation in the control. If I use comp in the computer, it verifies the time no problem. Looks like something in control compensation. Any ideas where I can troubleshoot this?

quote:

It seems to only happen when I use a helix bore toolpath with cutter compensation in the control.

THAT seems to be the issue right there.

Another reason to let go of the past wink.gif

:flamesuit on:

firebounce.gif

Ok whats the past. I'm not getting you. I am using X4 MU3. Is cutter comp in the control something in the past? While I appreciate the help, I don't appreciate the sarcasm. Perhaps I should just call Inhouse Solutions. Thanks anyways.

Let me see it has been 10 years since I have used control comp for a Mastercam program so that is what I think he is talking about. Lighten up a little some of us like to make things not so serious. ?If getting the time is life or deaf that you got to have it then use computer to get the time then switch back to control. If you logically thought you would see that Mastercam can not take outside controls into account when figuring certain toolpaths. By using control you take the power and use of Mastercam out of the equation. You will also run into what I consider more possibility of scrapping parts if someone forgets to put the right radius into the control. By using wear comp then all your offsets start at Zero and you run less of a risk of someone putting in the wrong radius value or forgetting to put it in to being with.

BTW we always recommend you contact your dealer first less of a chance of humor in response that way. wink.gifwink.gif

Fair enough. I use control cause the machine accepts THAT as default, not 0. Its a Mazak VTC-250D. I use control and I don't have to enter anything in the machine. (Perhaps it doesn't matter what I use with the Mazak) And I guess I should apologize because I never had any formal training with Mastercam and everything I know is self taught, hence maybe why I use control comp. Getting the time is certainty not life or (deaf?) however it is key in getting jobs so its nice to have. Thank you for the answer for turning it off temporarily. I will do just that.

quote:

Let me see it has been 10 years since I have used control comp for a Mastercam program so that is what I think he is talking about. Lighten up a little some of us like to make things not so serious. ?If getting the time is life or deaf that you got to have it then use computer to get the time then switch back to control. If you logically thought you would see that Mastercam can not take outside controls into account when figuring certain toolpaths. By using control you take the power and use of Mastercam out of the equation. You will also run into what I consider more possibility of scrapping parts if someone forgets to put the right radius into the control. By using wear comp then all your offsets start at Zero and you run less of a risk of someone putting in the wrong radius value or forgetting to put it in to being with.

BTW we always recommend you contact your dealer first less of a chance of humor in response that way. [Wink] [Wink]

Ok I did a cycle with wear but heres the issue. I have a VTC-250D/50 VMC and it accepts both conversational and regular g code. When I set the tool up in conversational, the default d value is half the cutter and the machine works with that number for compensation. If I program wear, it needs to see 0 in the offset to compensate otherwise it stays half the cutter dia away from the part. When I use control comp, it then reads the proper compensation. So see I guess with this type of control, I can't use wear otherwise everytime I run that tool in conversational (and I do use that alot) it would crash into the part. I am going to assume you have not used this type of machine and therefore why you haven't used control comp in 10 years? I don't know, maybe I'm doing something else wrong but as far as I can see, I NEED to use control comp unless I wanna switch numbers each time I use both programming methods.

I'm sure there is a setting in the control that

defines the machine's interpretation of cutter comp.

I've wriiten prograns for several Mazaks and they all used wear comp. Personally have havn't

used control comp since my pencil cam days.

At this point changing it would be counter

productive because you've got a whole bunch of legacy files using control comp.

If you switched, you'd have a bunch of both

and sooner or later you'd get bit.

Ya that is true. The machine is still fairly new so the amount of programs I have is not too large of a library yet and if I can change that setting, I would go through the existing programs that have comp on and change them. This setting that you say could change it, would that be a machine parameter or a Mastercam parameter?

• 4 years later...

Hello Thoob.

I also getting this type of issue in mastercam if using "Control" compensation type.
And I was encounter this issue which the cycle time able show in "Control compensation type after I keep tried in error.

To encounter this issue, you just need to uncheck the "Simulate cutter compensation" in the backplot Options.

Then the cycle time will showing as per required. (I know your question were few years ago, maybe this can help you or others)

• Like 1

Hello Thoob.

I also getting this type of issue in mastercam if using "Control" compensation type.

And I was encounter this issue which the cycle time able show in "Control compensation type after I keep tried in error.

To encounter this issue, you just need to uncheck the "Simulate cutter compensation" in the backplot Options.

Then the cycle time will showing as per required. (I know your question were few years ago, maybe this can help you or others)

attachicon.gifBackplot.jpg

:unworthy: :unworthy: Cool only took you 4 years to come up with that answer. :unworthy: :unworthy:

• Like 1