Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Partoff D2 @ 62 HRC

Goldorak

im calling the mold /hardened stuff guru

anybody knows a good tool to partoff a 7/8 D2 hardened bar on a multi axis lathe

we are used to cut nasty stuff like stellite inconel or hastelloy but not hardened steel

i got over 1000 part to make and i got to make them in one process

Would not even attempt such foolishness. I see major problems with brittleness, stress fractures on the face and other things that will cause this part to fail any penetrate or NDT check. I would tell Einstein (The person who thought this was a good way to take EM=C^2 and go back to the drawing board.) There is a reason people do them as parts in the annealed or semi hard state and not the hard state then harden and finish and there are things going on with cross section grain flow and other requirements that have to be consider that someone need to go back look at the ANSI, DPS or other manufacturing requirements and make sure they are following them before they even think about shipping these part to a customer even if you do get this to work. I normally use about 32 to 35 sfm on this hard of material with Carbide, because I think Ceramic without holding it with a sub spindle will break. Now you start getting down to .05 in diameter how fast do you need that spindle speed to be to maintain the sfm required. I would try to part it off leaving stock then finish. If you got a sub spindle then you can do it in one operation just transfer the finish operation to a sub spindle to eliminate handling. With a single spindle one set-up requirement again Einstein told you had to be I would send the job back and tell them you bid it wrong and sorry for the trouble.

quote:

Would not even attempt such foolishness.

Got that right biggrin.gif

You will need CBN inserts, lots of alcohol, depression counseling and a wig coz if you have hair now you will certainly be bald if you ever complete this job – take note to the key word “IF”

biggrin.gif

And, I am quite sure if you ever finish this job you will be looking for a new career tongue.gif

So, JParis, how is this post for "helpfulness" tongue.gif

Ron i was thinking in the same way as you....

and yes i got a sub spindle and i will "try" to cut "break too many tools" it by holding it in two spindle

i also got to drill it 3/16 thru with an 1/8 cross hole....

PS the guy who quote this job know what i think of it

I cut H.T. D-2 a lot here. Its' not impossible it's just different. You need to use a CBN tipped insert or diamond tipped tool. Start out @ around 350 rpm and .0005" / .001" chip load. KEEP IT COOL AS YOU CAN. Take your time and play with the speeds and feeds a little and you'll get it. Turning heat treated D-2 is way slower than milling. If you have to many problems, give the tech guys at SGS a call and they should be able to hook you up. Good luck.

I turned fully hard HSS drill blanks on a Hardinge manual lathe.

i used a brazed carbide cutoff blade; dry and slow with Light chip loads like Odell said. any oil or water based coolant would cause instant failure.

you better have a built-in sharpening system for 1000 parts.

I had a customer (mold shop) that sent out 2 O.D.inch Blanks of D2 full RC to heat treat and then turned a countour on the nose and then turned the OD. Machinist looked at me and said "2 minutes each can you believe that"? hard turning was just becoming known and blowing peoples minds..used a $150K okuma lathe..parts about 2 inches long..I would not have thought it was possibal...making a killing on the job..they had been using a tracer lathe and grinder.. biggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Stellite... I love the way it glows inside the machine when it cuts. Purdy!... at least when you do it right. Kennametal Kyon cuts that stuff liek butter. biggrin.gif

Fun days.

I would think if you had a live tool and sub spindle you could use a ceramic high feed mill or button cutter and rotate the work piece while feeding in. You could get through this rather easily. You'd be using extra material but I think it would work. Hold the part in a sub spindle and face the back side after "parting".

If no sub then just rechuck as a second op to face it. Good luck.