Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

There is a new 3D Mouse in town

gcode

It looks like 3D COnnexion has some competion

Space Control

The supported apps list does not include Mastercam, but I emailed and asked.

The handle looks just like a Space Pilot.

Its probably the same mechanisim, from the same

factory in China rolleyes.gif

It comes in 2 different versions, with a cap like a Space Pilot or a ball like the old Space Ball.

They've added a Power Wheel at the base of the handle that is supposed to be highly customizable. That might be pretty cool if set up as a fast left/right 2D scroll wheel.

At first glance, it may be a little easier to use than a Space Pilot, but they definitley left south paws out of the game.

I don't see any way a lefty could use this thing.

The company is German and the prices are a better than a Space Pilot, but Germany's VAT tax will make up the difference.

The web page says they have a US office in New Castle Colorado, but couldn't find any further info.

Right now you have to buy them direct from Germany and pay the VAT Tax. (goggle says 19%) I don't know how that would work if you could buy from an American distributor.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

This must be a brand new product. I google

Space Pilot once a month or so looking for a good price and this is the first time Space Controller has come up.

3D Connexions may have to lower their prices a bit as the Space Controller looks like a worthy

competitor.

edit: I misread that.. since its being exported

the VAT tax is excluded.. cost is $299 + $22 shipping which puts it well under a Space Pilot

(list at $399)

[ 07-04-2010, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: gcode ]

quote:

Its probably the same mechanisim, from the same

factory in China

Yep, looks like 3D Connexion is now reaping the true benefits of "Global Manufacturing".

Take all of the guts that somebody else R&D'd and paid for the tooling, and sell it to somebody else. Chinese manufacturing at it's finest.

Its possible the handle is Chinese technology

that they can sell to who ever they please.

I did not mean to imply that anyone was stealing anything. All I know is that my year old Space Pilot Pro says "Made in China" and the handle

on this new 3D mouse looks identical to mine.

It would not surprise me if the same Chinese plant built both units.

I have small hands and many of the buttons on my SPP are unused because I can't reach then easily.

If they start supporting Mastercam I might give one a shot.

[ 07-04-2010, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: gcode ]

a promppt reply to my email

quote:

Unfortunately I cannot tell you if MasterCAM is already supported or not since we do not have a version available at the moment. There is a good chance that it is compatible with the SpaceController since we support the standard 3D mouse interface.

I contacted MasterCAM support and asked for a trial license so that we are able to evaluate the compatibility.

As soon as I hear from them I will let you know about the status.

quote:

If you read the website, it is actually a German company started by former employees of 3D connexion. I doubt this has anything to do with Chinese manufacturers stealing tooling.

Actually, isn't that kind of exactly what it's saying? Former employees of the company, leaving, buying what looks to be an identical technology from likely the identical manufacturer, and selling it on their own?

I'm not saying that's what's happening here, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

One of our programmers is left handed.

He uses a right handed mouse left handed.

I sold him my old Space Pilot which he runs with his right hand.

They do make left handed mice, but he's used a right handed one for so long he wouldn't know how to use it.

quote:

Unless you learned how to do a lot of the things related to a machine shop right handed and use a computer like the rest of the world right handed.

From the first drillpress,saw,Bridgeport,Lathe,edm to the latest mouse biggrin.gif

as well as learning to bat and golf right handed and drive cars,trucks and motorcycles made for a right handed world wink.gif

I am all messed up. I use my right hand on the computer and to shoot.But I eat and write with my left.. I am truly ambidextrous , I did not teach my self to be this way I was just born this way..

So I am pretty comfortable using both hands for allot of things or switching back and forth as one hand gets tired.

I heard back the developers regarding Mastercam support.

quote:

I have good news regarding the SpaceController support for Mastercam. I just tested Mastercam X4 and it looks like it fully supports our SpaceController. You can move objects as well as assign user defined functions to any of the keys on our device.

The application list on our website was updated accordingly.

quote:

SpaceControl is in no way related to Logitech and / or 3Dconnexion. It is true however, that most of us have worked at 3Dconnexion before. Since we believe in high quality products, we wanted to provide a new 3D mouse to the CAD market that fits to our believes . The speculation about us using the same factory in China to produce our devices or buying any information from a third party is not correct. Logitech has its own manufacturing center in Shouzou, China and we are in no way related to this factory.

That's 2 out of 3 , Solidworks and Mastercam,

now all I need is Vericut support.

Space Control video

After watching this video, is pretty clear that there are no similarities between this 3D controller and 3D Connexion products. The cap

has way more movement that my Space Pilot.

I wish they were available from a US distributor.

Things can get way out of hand with international orders, especially if you need to return it.

The fine print say US Custom fees vary from state to state and cannot be charged up front because they are unknown. That makes me nervous about placing an order. I've ordered books from the UK many times with no problems, but never anything this costly. I can see my order rotting in some government warehouse, held for ransom

for various custom fees. rolleyes.gif