Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mastercam for solidworks work on x64 ?

Chris Rizzo

If I remember correctly it is not available for Solidworks x64

Just in general though, I'd like comments from anyone using it at all. How is the solid selection, chaining, etc? Are the full mill toolpaths like helix bore, circlemill, etc in there yet?

I have heard there is an x64 version coming,

but have not seen it yet.

All the toolpaths are in the X4 version.

If you're just doing 3 axis vertical mill work its

a useful tool. I found the planes setup to be hard to use and really struggled doing

HMC and 3+2 work because of it.

I've been told that planes will be getting some serious work in upcoming versions.

Hopefull at some point they will use SolidWorks

planes and coordiante systems to drive the toolpaths.

The last time I tried it, chaining was much better.

Our company has a sister company that makes molds for concrete blocks. We machine the mold components. They decorative face type blocks. They use Solidworks for their design and from mold to mold the changes are often very small changes. I think we could benefit from the associative properties of working directly in Solidworks.

Also it is kind of personal for me. After having NX and Esprit at my disposal at my last job I have grown to loath the MCX interface, sub-par graphics, poor solids selection/usage, etc.

Currently Mastercam for SolidWorks is only available for the 32bit version of SolidWorks. a 64bit version is in development and test for the X5 release of Mastercam for SolidWorks.

For information on the functionality currently available in the Mastercam for SolidWorks product check out the www.mastercamforsolidworks.com website.

Not out to bash anybody but take a look at this.

"HSMWorks utilizes the latest technologies including native 64-bit support for users of 64-bit versions of SolidWorks® resulting in superior performance when working on large or complex designs. The advanced HSMWorks task manager allows users to continue working inside SolidWorks® while toolpaths are calculated in the background, optionally utilizing multiple processors, dual cores and hyper-threading technology.'

Considering that Cimco wrote the code for some of our favorite tool paths and their 32 bit calc times are smokin, I'd seriously consider a trial version of both before laying out any cash.

Anybody that uses or has tried the HSM PP add-on knows exactly what the benefits are.

• 3 months later...

Motorcity,

HSMWorks seriously goes beyod what the HSM PP offers whether you are using the addin to SolidWorks or the OEM version.

Have you looked at the DCS (Distributed CAM Services) offered as an option to HSMWorks....Stack it up

1. x64
  2. extended RAM
  3. multi core processing
  4. multi processor processing
  5. DCS = multi PC processing
  6. being able to keep working no matter what kind of toolpaths or where they are processing

Serious processing horsepower that not just make your life easier but saves heaps of time.